How do you wash dishes and pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, no kidding. Does anyone put their dishes in a mesh bag and hang them overboard to let the salt water creatures pre clean them? It seems like all you would have to do is give them a light washing after that.

I have some sailor friends who pre dunk their dishes. I've used a raw water foot pump for prerinsing on a sailboat. I have enough water capacity not to bother with it. At least for the cruising I've done this far. My dishwasher drawer only uses 6 gallons a load.

My former mother in law would not let us stack her good china when we cleared the table because it didn't go in the dishwasher and she didn't want to have to wash the bottoms.

At less than 30' LOA we have slight case of sink envy and my wife certainly now has dishwasher envy too, thank you for that BTW Jennifer. Like Mark above though we tend to pick nick dine on the boat. Breakfast is never a problem either and with some creative rinsing we can manage to wash the electric griddle as well.

Pre dunking overboard never has occurred to us??? I suppose you could, not sure what harm it would do.

So, no kidding. Does anyone put their dishes in a mesh bag and hang them overboard to let the salt water creatures pre clean them? It seems like all you would have to do is give them a light washing after that.

:confused: I guess if you could limit your speed to 3 kts or so, you might be able to consider that the agitation cycle and skip the scrubbing. Then it's just a quick rinse and stack. Ready for the next meal! Any food bits left on the plates can be classified as leftovers. :D

Mark, we use a lot of paper too, but they tend to float for a while before they soak up enough water to sink. And forget the plastic tableware. They all float, but at least the clear ones are less obvious to other boats in the anchorage. :socool:

... we can manage to wash the electric griddle as well. Pre dunking overboard never has occurred to us??? I suppose you could, not sure what harm it would do.
Maybe not the electric griddle...

Heard about a sailing couple in the Caribbean that had guests on board. They were into conserving water. When the guests offered to wash dishes, they were told to only wash the fronts to save water. That's when they decided they had gone too far in conservation.:)

Sounds like the joke about getting tired of the inlaws coming over for dinner every Sunday. So the guy puts the dishes down for the dog; then puts them directly back in the cupboard... Problem solved.

Interesting, Al. But what do you do with garbage you don't throw overboard? ;):D Some of our garbage taken off from our last trip:

232323232%7Ffp54392%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36664336nu0mrj

Mark, we use a lot of paper too, but they tend to float for a while before they soak up enough water to sink. And forget the plastic tableware. They all float, but at least the clear ones are less obvious to other boats in the anchorage. :socool:
:D:D

Oh you environmentalists from the left coast land of fruits and nuts raving about what goes overboard! Next thing you know your radical ideas will be exported to the pristine far Northeast and we will have holding tanks and pump out stations imposed upon us. Then what are the lobsters gonna eat?

"But what do you do with garbage you don't throw overboard?"

A lifted dink in davits will hold a huge volume till you get to a dumpster.

For our 90/90 ,

ICW or inshore fuel stop , 15G diesel, 200G water ,one bag of ice , bags of garbage offloaded. 15 min max.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom