Follow me, Left marathon for Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do it all the time. There is no cost, its your lines, fenders and own risk- responsibility. Your taxes have paid the toll:) As far as assistance, they can talk you through it but you are on your own. Its really not a big deal with two people on board. With one, its challanging. If you dont have fast access to leave the wheel and attend the tie of to your center cleat, its even more difficult.

How long did it take to fill that 90' lock? Where does the water come from that fills the lock, like from under the boat, at the end, or side. And how much dancing does your boat do while it's filling? I would assume going down is easier.

How long did it take to fill that 90' lock? Where does the water come from that fills the lock, like from under the boat, at the end, or side. And how much dancing does your boat do while it's filling? I would assume going down is easier.

I would think filling would come from the high side and lowering would be releasing to the low side...

Not that I know but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I would think filling would come from the high side and lowering would be releasing to the low side...

Not that I know but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Isn't that a big DUH?? ok, again for everybody. Where is the inlet valve located in the lock? :banghead:

On these big locks the water is let in and out from the bottom. The lockmaster has discretion as to how much he opens the valve. If you or his wife has upset him, he can make your life miserable. Most are very good and cooperative. A fast fill can push you all around.

Private boats are at the bottom of the priority list. If a tow is going through the locks, you can have up to a 4 hour wait.

Thanks Moonstruck. Just wondering about the nuts and bolts of locking.

Hey, I was sarcastic back. All in fun. :socool:

Florence put on a great show. I gotta say most of the people here in Alabama have been very hospitable. Especially Sea Hag and the Florence Harbor marina owner Eva. They just couldn't do enough to make me feel welcome and I truly appreciate it. At a dollar a ft and ya get a car ta go inta town wow.

Attachments

• image-2369512008.jpg
    image-2369512008.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 81
Hey David, what does it cost to go through the locks? Do they provide the lines to tie the boats with? I've never gone through a lock before but my boat came through the Panama Canal and you have to have line handlers and your own lines there.

There's no cost for us but the barges do pay so they get to go first. And you could be sitting for a few hours on a bad day. And there's only one line to hold you to the wall but it helps to have help o keep the boat off the wall and take some of the stress off the bumpers. The hardest part when I was alone was getting next to the pin and getting from the bridge to tie off before I drifted off.

Hey David, what does it cost to go through the locks? Do they provide the lines to tie the boats with? I've never gone through a lock before but my boat came through the Panama Canal and you have to have line handlers and your own lines there.

I did pot some pictures a while back

DC, I just caught up on the thread, Thanks again, great read. Makes working on the boat not so bad to know there is still adventure out there.

Thanks Moonstruck. Just wondering about the nuts and bolts of locking.

With two people its a piece of cake. With one its a little intimidating. But even that's not so bad as long as the wind isn't to bad. And if you are ready to go to either side that helps. On occasion the wind will want to blow you off the wall so you can just go to the other, but there's no time for moving bumpers..

David, thats why we always set ip on both sides so we have fast options. Thrusters are very helpful as well:dance:

On the upper Mississippi the lock tenders will ask a lot of the time if you want to float thru or hold lines to the wall. Going down is pretty smooth, going up can be more turbulent, we usually float thru. Right now with the high water there is not a lot of difference from above a lock to below it. I was out this morning & there was a lot more debris than yesterday so someone up river got some rain yesterday or last night.

I am really enjoying this thread. I'm learning a lot about river life on the water. I did spend a week on the Mississippi during a festival I played in Louisiana back in 1971 if I remember right. We had to bathe in the river and each day the river was a little different. You could certainly tell when someone up river got rain. I never noticed many private boats then, just huge barge chains that were very long.

We had to bathe in the river and each day the river was a little different. You could certainly tell when someone up river got rain.

Having grown-up at the upper end of that river, I know what kind of things were in that river in 1971. :trash:

Conditions are a much better now - some things we do correct over time.

Ok I need a lesson on reading this TVA info.n I'm looking at the charts for the TVA. It gives the water level behind an ahead of the dam. It also gives the average water flow. But it doesn't tell you what the normal levels are. In the prediction area I see that from today's average of 90,000 its going to 127,000 gal flow. So I'm thinking that's a big difference. But does it mean I shouldn't travel? Does mean no more then the tide going out on the ICW? And it's looking like there's a pretty good current coming from the dam. When I get in there it shouldn't be bad in the chamber right? I'm probably going to have some debrie, but should I take a few days off the traveling?

Ok I need a lesson on reading this TVA info.n I'm looking at the charts for the TVA. It gives the water level behind an ahead of the dam. It also gives the average water flow. But it doesn't tell you what the normal levels are. In the prediction area I see that from today's average of 90,000 its going to 127,000 gal flow. So I'm thinking that's a big difference. But does it mean I shouldn't travel? Does mean no more then the tide going out on the ICW? And it's looking like there's a pretty good current coming from the dam. When I get in there it shouldn't be bad in the chamber right? I'm probably going to have some debrie, but should I take a few days off the traveling?

The reservoir levels are up. There should be little difference in lockings. There will be debris on the river that should lessen as you near the next dam. The debris collects behind the dams. You can look for a current of up to about 4 knots. It will be a slow slog upstream.

Was out yesterday and going upriver my sog was 3.8 mph turned around & going with the current it was 10.2 mph without any change to the throttle. Debris was a lot less in the afternoon but still enough you have to pay close attention to what's coming at you.

Was out yesterday and going upriver my sog was 3.8 mph turned around & going with the current it was 10.2 mph without any change to the throttle. Debris was a lot less in the afternoon but still enough you have to pay close attention to what's coming at you.

What pool are you in? I appreciate the updates..

They say 137ft high. Wilson lock is in my back pocket.

Attachments

• image-851450878.jpg
    image-851450878.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2230774080.jpg
    image-2230774080.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 80
This is what happens when you don't tie off in the middle. This guys about a 60ft house boat with no walk around. He has bow and stern thrusters and still couldn't stay on the wall.
I'm going into Joe Wheeler park to check it out. I plan to go there in the fall for the looper get together.

Attachments

• image-2500439284.jpg
    image-2500439284.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 90
More pictures of those floating ballards from the lock

Attachments

• image-3345307734.jpg
    image-3345307734.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1445495242.jpg
    image-1445495242.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 77
Dave

Check water.weather.gov/ahps/ for river gauges showing active and forecast water levels for 7 days. Get on TN River map, and check Whitesburg graph, which is next after you past Decatur. Then look for arrow under graph and go upstream.

FYI. Florence Harbor to flood tomorrow, but just effects parking lot, not floating docks.

Have a good trip.

Anyone know anything about Hales bar marina. May not be able to get to Chattanooga because of lock closures.

Dave

Check water.weather.gov/ahps/ for river gauges showing active and forecast water levels for 7 days. Get on TN River map, and check Whitesburg graph, which is next after you past Decatur. Then look for arrow under graph and go upstream.

FYI. Florence Harbor to flood tomorrow, but just effects parking lot, not floating docks.

Have a good trip.

Yea I left Florence and I'm approaching Decatur now. The coast guard just said three lock closures chickamagwa, watts bar, ft Lauren. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the flow down.

Yea I left Florence and I'm approaching Decatur now. The coast guard just said three lock closures chickamagwa, watts bar, ft Lauren. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the flow down.

Forgive my spelling. Texting and driving

David, Chickamauga lock is above Chattanooga at approx mile 474. Cheattanooga is approx. mile 466. No lock between Nickajack and Chattanooga. If you can get to Hales Bar, you should be able to get to Chattanooga. It looks like we are 4-5' above normal summer pool here. The fixed docks won't work for you, but the floating docks should.

https://activecaptain.com/quickList...'s_Landing_Marina_Chattanooga_TN&i=4127774138

Marine Max manages the marina for the city. You may want to call them.

MarineMax Chattanooga

I live 1 block from the water front. There will be a fairly strong current at the floating docks. They are as you go under the second bridge on your starboard. I will send you a pm with my cell number. If I am available, I will try and help you tie up. Tell the marina you are single handing and ask for help. The office is a long walk from the transient dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom