Where are you for the 4th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
We are sitting on a mooring in Castine, Maine, waiting for cocktail time and fireworks at 9.

Pics of a couple of nearby boats:

image-369898723.jpg

image-1854795856.jpg

image-4094568596.jpg

image-2557362950.jpg

Negotiations for a weekend on the boat broke down so I am sitting at home watching bad TV.

The 4th in Camden

I was in Camden one year in the late ‘80s for the 4th. The 4th of July fireworks show was finally held on Aug. 13th.

Fog. Every. Single. Day.

Great cruising though. We stumbled around using (gasp!) Loran C and radar.

Looking fwd to going back!

This year at home in FL. We're prepping for our fall trip to the Chesapeake.

Mike

Annapolis Maryland, a very festive place any time and especially on 4th of July weekend.

If anyone else is in Annapolis this weekend, look us up at the Annapolis City Marina and we can get a drink together.

At home prepping to go down tomorrow to get the boat in Stuart. Two days of getting some training on a twin screw and then taking 3 days to bring her home.

Arrived in Bogota on the red eye this morning and fly the red eye back to Houston tonight!!!!......EEEEEEEK!!!!!

Spent today tearing down an industrial chiller in preparation for a crane lift tomorrow at 7 am. Firing up the BBQ now and prepping fuses for our own neighborhood display.

Be safe all.

Headed through the locks (with about 300 other boats!) for Lake Union (Seattle) for the fireworks. Will be in the middle of about 3,000 other boats in the Lake for the show. Luckily, have a friend with a floating home we can tie up to.

SunRoad Marina in San Diego! Barbeque, booze & bikinis! later, anchored in the bay on a 36' sail boat followed by a cocktail mixer tomorrow night.
Our marina has turned in to a first class yacht club! :blush:

Coffman Cove, Alaska for a small town waterfront celebration.

Just finished watching the beautiful fireworks show in New Bern, NC with many beautiful boats in the harbor. Inspecting great boats in Morehead, NC on Saturday and Sunday in Oriental, NC. Wish us luck!

Southwest Harbor, Maine. The town fireworks were on a barge 300 yds from Grace. Perfection!

We were on a friends boat last night for a great fireworks show at Boston Harbor. We were less than 100 yards from the fireworks barge with the fireworks going off directly overhead. Pretty awesome show.

I've been sitting around this afternoon watching Revolution on the History 2 channel. We are very fortunate people.

Moored in a quiet cove, one of only two boats in the mooring field. Saw no less than 8 fireworks displays last night before the mosquitoes drove us inside, as well as a unique sunset.
Sunset_Fox_Point_2013_07_04_6729.JPG

We were supposed to be in Key West on a friends boat watching the fireworks but we blew the outdrive 20 miles offshore from Goodland Fl. Had bouncy 2 hr wait for SeaTow and then a 2 1/2 hr tow into Goodland. When we finally got home yesterday..we had a glass of wine and went to bed...LOL
Thats just boating I guess.

I was on the other end of a towline for much of the afternoon/evening till 11pm...missed the fireworks getting people off mudbanks and marshes so they could enjoy...:D

Sat on the deck at the spec house, watching boats and jets skis on lake LBJ trying to have fun....pure entertainment.

Yarrow Bay, in Lake Washington. Terrific view of 3 separate fireworks shows.

image-761749071.jpg

Mentioned earlier we were in Lake Union, Seattle. There was a big boat fire about 15 minutes before the fireworks. On the north shore of the lake is a big boat storage facility-stacked storage for small boats, stacked about 5 high. Someone from a house on the hill above was setting off rockets and one landed in a boat on the rack. Set it on fire and then burned about 8-10 other boats. Fortunately, a worker there was able to get their big forklift started and got the boat off the rack before the whole thing went up. It was quite a sight!

We saw the smoke cloud from Yarrow Bay (Kirkland)...thought it was smoke from illegal fireworks, preceding the main shows. Happy it wasn't worse than it was.

On the boat again tonight...another gorgeous evening, much like last night.

Mandeville Tip, California Delta for the annual Hilton-sponsored fireworks. Pretty calm and quiet here...just a few boaters, revelers, water fights and bathing beauties. My eyes and neck are still sore from trying to look in three directions at once.

img_166681_0_cea79317d8d17bb7bb5797651515371f.jpg

img_166681_1_d31a6e3da698a70639de948aa49ff50b.jpg

img_166681_2_5ea01fc1bc90c4c4e76a434e954d5cbf.jpg

img_166681_3_38b4a2fe520a6a9eef2d7c4477587e29.jpg

img_166681_4_e027b15b51988a3ec40b71b73dbdde9f.jpg

img_166681_5_c5d43650c58ca38c253f18128c0f2d5f.jpg

img_166681_6_2218e99c33ede6b7ff6bd28682e21203.jpg

Last edited:
That's my favorite Trawler Forum cozy. I probably shouldn't be using it daily since they're as rare as hen's teeth. Someday I'll donate it to the Trawler Forum Museum and Hall of Fame.

"Flywright's speed has definitely improved!"

It helps to have friends with fast boats. The Windmill Cove bar was calling our names, so us guys needed to make a bar run. I'm not used to going that fast on the water.

Last edited:
Two days post 4th sitting at anchor at cocktail time off Pickering I and the Eaton Is in Penobscot Bay, Maine, listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert and watching ospreys and eagles on a perfect warm Maine summer eve. Life is good.

image-21861798.jpg

On San Diego bay aboard a 48 foot committee boat enjoying the fireworks from four barges firing off in sync. They first fired off a red boom boom for a computer check and we all thought "not again!" But the rest of the fireworks went off without a hitch for the eighteen minutes of the show.

5 days o' cruisen, swimmen, gunk-holen, resten and eaten and playen on da SF Delta this 4th O' July! :socool:

Sunrise... 7/4/13 :thumb:

Attachments

• Sun Rise 4th July 2013 - SF Delta.jpg
    Sun Rise 4th July 2013 - SF Delta.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom