Advice on 76 Albin 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You did good, Sunset. What a deal!:thumb:

Thanks for the input guys. Interior is very good - new cushions in both cabins, wood looks fine. No sink in the head. There are no 12v plugins that I can see; and I will need to figure out how to power a coffee maker. There is a lot of 12v and inverter info I am lacking.

There is no fixed compass at the helm so I need to look into that asap. Man, the list gets longer everytime I sit down and think about it . . . but that's a good thing! :)

The Admiral testing out her station:

Attachments

• 20130702_140518.jpg
    20130702_140518.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 391
On ours the fridge was in the cockpit on the port side across from the helm. Don't remember the size, but I'd look at what NovaKool has to offer.
Nicro | Marinco

On our boat (Manatee???) that location is occupied by a hidden pull-out metal-lined ice-box, quite capacious, about 12 or 15 inches front-to-back. That will do us fine while we focus on priorities. (like new window curtains :confused:)

Excellent, Sunset! What a super find! The interior looks nice--I wish I had more wood. I have a later model Volvo in my trawler (MD2030 with 300 hours) and am completely aware of the negative perception many have of Volvos. Parts are no doubt pricey, but I've been most pleased with its performance (knock on wood).

Plossl, thanks for the factory photo. I always wondered what it looked like during production.

Sunset, check out our blog from when we owned our A25.
Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

Kind of long but it shows how and where we cruised her.

Kolive-

Your waterfall photo has been my wallpaper several times. I think the photo of the factory may be from the very early days- it looks like the canoe hull. This must be the finishing room. Mine has the later hull. Here's what it looked like the day I bought it. I had to remove the top due to weak construction. Note the false keel--6 inches of wood through-bolted to the original keel with additional wood attached to the rudder. I've restored to the original configuration. I doubt she was a very able under sail even with the changes!
Plossl

Attachments

• P5290841.jpg
    P5290841.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:
Wow, that was a deep keel under her. PLI is an amazing place, hope you can trailer out here and go there. Our Abin had a soft top with enclosable surrounds so it was a great weather seal. Clear panels kept it light and our diesel furnace kept it warm.

Sunset, check out our blog from when we owned our A25.
Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

Excellent travel blog Keith! :thumb: It recreates the experience and truly helps us understand what these adventures are all about, now within our grasp if only we dare to grab it!:)

And I see your hatch above the galley and by golly it does seem an excellent improvement. Did you do the install yourself?

Thanks Sunset. Yes I did the install. A little strange cutting a big hole in the boat but it went smoothly.

Hi Sunset, hope you enjoy your new Albin. I just wanted to know if the old owner passed on my telephone number to you. I wanted you to have my number in case you ever decide to sell. I was next on the list if your deal didn't go trough. I wished I found this post sooner , I would of offer 6100 instead of 5500. Kijiji is great but you have to be quick. Let me know what you do with the old engine if you repower. Thank you and enjoy your new toy.

plossl,
I see that your boat in the photo has a larger rudder than standard. That's fine but I seem to recall that my Albin 25 rudder worked fine.

Yes, early in it's life, sometime in the 80's I think, someone decided to turn it into a ketch. I have a 23' main and a 17' rear mast. In addition, he deepened the keel 7 inches with bolted layers of wood, and reshaped the rudder adding about 30% more area. I reversed all of these changes. They were well conceived, but after 30 years they were in really bad shape.

Sounds like you got a "steal" Sunset!

Our 1976 Albin Deluxe with MD17C came to us with an "overheating" issue, too, and we had a very interesting outcome at Larsen Marine in Waukegan, IL last Summer. Their Mechanic ran it awhile and said the gauge reads in the red, alright, but the motor doesn't behave like a "hot "engine; and it starts instantly when indicating "hot".

So he tested the thermostat in a hot saucepan and found it OK, too, though so "gunked up with old age" that he replaced it anyway. What he found was that the temp sending unit was reading in the red when the sauce pan wasn't that hot. A new temp sending unit has us all fixed up and running at full throttle in the "green".

Our boat's prior owner told me he thought Cyl #1 was running too hot.

Moby Nick

Hey Moby - question: what do you run as "full throttle"? And what speed at that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom