Albin 25 - 12v fridge, 12v outlets, genny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Just getting into prioritizing the tasks lying ahead in our brand spanking new '76 Albin 25 . . . first time with a sleepover boat and although we haven't even turned on the motor yet this vessel is awesome.

Is there a source for those fan-vents at the bow over the cabin? Only one left on this boat.

Anyone use a 12v fridge or cooler? Best kind of stovetop (reasonably cheap?)? There are no 12v plugins . . . suggestions? Do the 25's ever have shore power set up? Generators? Would love to explore ideas as to what others have done to enhance the A25 experience. :flowers:

On our Albin, we had a built in Coleman ice box that looked like a fridge. But we carried a 12volt Engle freezer/fridge that work very well, we still use it on our GB. Ours was wired with 120and 12volt. We switched to all LED and never regretted it. I installed the solar vent fans in the v berth area and the aft cabin. They work great but do require some sun exposure. I bought a new hatch at a boating consignment store and installed it in the galley area. Fantastic addition for ventilation and lighting. Our stove was the Origo 3000 alcohol but we burned Methyl Hydrate in it, less fumes and much cheaper, even available in big box stores. Learne that from a Canadian Albin owner when cruising. We carried a Honda 2000 generator but could have gotten by with the 1000 on the Albin.

:thumb: Great info there Keith - just the kind of info I'm thirsty for! Thanks!

12V outlets - yes! Buy a bunch of them at the auto parts or big-box store. Buy a good crimper and (if you don't already know) learn a little about proper 12V wiring on a boat. Then go to town. You'll never regret having an outlet where you need it.

You could do a full-bore shorepower setup, but I'd try the Honda generator first, see how much you need it, see if there's anything you can't live without. If you go with 12V everything, and non-electric cooking, you may find you won't run the generator much, except maybe to heat water and charge the batteries. And then only if you don't run the engine much. I'm not even sure if your Albin has a water heater. If so, the loop to heat it off the engine is a great thing to have if you're on the move a lot.

Thanks for the perspective, Cap'n. I have started thinking along those lines. Kolive mentions that the 1000 would have served, so I am looking around for a used one on the net. I am thinking coffee maker and charge batteries as must-haves, and really that's about it. Well, laptop charging as well I suppose since the 12v charging is pretty slow in my car.

For the genny - does one pull it out on deck when in use, or is there somewhere vented to run it from on the A25?

I have the John Payne book - the Marine Electrical/Electronic Bible and although it's over my head I have wired accessories to a variety of motorcycles over the years.

For the money, I'd go with the 2000i. Your coffee pot may draw 1000 watts, and a hair drier on high is 1500. Put it down wind and facing away from the boat. People die from CO poisoning all the time. You don't want it in the engine room; it needs a lot of cooling air and there's no good way to hook up the exhaust. Plus it runs on gas, a no-no in enclosed places. I rigged a little hanging shelf, with a cover for rain that didn't block the air flow, and hung the whole thing off my transom handrail on my last boat. Your setup will be different. You said you had a swim platform, that may work, but make sure it's above any wakes or waves.

Two things on boat wiring. Do NOT buy wire at Home Depot. Spend the extra $$ on proper stranded, tinned boat wiring. And use heat-shrink crimped connections with a good crimper. Remember that longer 12V runs require significantly larger wire to avoid a large voltage drop. LED lighting is the way to go for everything. No bulbs to replace or connections to corrode, and they extend your battery life.

Virgin run today, wonderful day! Our PO had ripped out the corroded A/C system (good) and cut the helm back to one seat wide (sh1t!). The motor started up like a champ and the Manatee handled like a dream. The Admiral and Ginger the Tiny Doggy popped their heads up through the forward hatch and loved every minute! What a success this is . . . (the hated 3 dots inserted here) Now to find a berth and that is proving a challenge after all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom