She floats!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
After almost 2 years of work, the Lady J hit the water and proceeded under her own power to her new dock. WoooHooo!!!!! :dance: Still lots of little things to do, but it's much better from the water than on the hard. As we meet our neighbors, it's great not to be referred to as "those people", as in "Oh, you are those people on the hard working on the Gulfstar!" Now we can say we berth at F-36. Much better. Watching the sunrise from the flying bridge with our morning coffee is living the life! Took her out twice for shake down, but each time returning early due to rain. Weather comes up quick on Lake Erie! Will follow up as we get out a few more times and wring her out. Since I had never operated a boat both this big and with twin engines, I had one of the marina staff ride along to coach me. His directions were simple, "Drive it like a bull dozer!. Use the transmissions to steer, with occasional bumps of the throttles." Worked Great!!! I am amazed at how maneuverable the boat is, especially as I like to "move slow like a pro". Next time at the boat, we are going to anchor a fender in the bay, and practice approaches from all angles and all winds. Hopefully get back aboard next week.

Attachments

• DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 169
Congrats, have fun with it. Entering a marina is the only time I am jealous of a twin.

Congrats. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

She looks fine! congrats

Hey Kents, I liked your FB page and looked it over. I guess I don't understand why you were on the hard for two years. What were you working on that required it being out of the water?

Congrats, BTW. I always wanted my time on the hard to be short and sweet.

Yup the guy behind me has an Albin 28 with a bow thruster. He just stands there in awe on how easy I dock my 36 with twins.

Capthead - We re-did the galley/dinette area, removed, repaired, and re-installed all the stanchions. Replaced some spongy balsa core on the flying bridge. Built a new battery box and continue to update the wiring. Re-sealed ports, buffed out the topsides, and continued to chase wiring. We live 3 hours away, and though retired, work part time. Much of what we did was easier on the hard. We had electric service from the marina, so could live aboard as we worked on it. We're not done yet, (probably will never be) but getting closer. At least now we can take it out and enjoy it between work sessions.

Congrats! Gulfstars are damn well built

Every single time I have had a boat on the hard, that is my first, almost instinctive, reaction when it goes back into the water! It Floats!

Congrats-enjoy the 4th on board.

Very nice, Bilgewater! I was very interested in purchasing a Gulfstar--they all seem like very well-built, sturdy boats. I can imagine your elation after two years! Congrats!

Nice boat. Looks just like mine!! :)

Your upgrades look good. I also redid my V berth and forward head. It made a huge difference. Keep going you do great work and I know you have to feel the rewards of a great job when it's finished.......oops, I said finished. :eek:

Congratulations on the Launch. It's nice to see another trawler on the Great Lakes.

Thanks for the many kind words. Now we can have fun operating her. After a few more sea trials, we'll try an overnight anchorage near by. Still have to get a battery for the generator to check it out. It ran two years ago. We discovered that the color Garmin 82 works, as does the Furuno radar. Now I have to figure out how to run them! Have the manual for the Garmin, but not the radar. I'll get the model number next time at the boat and see about a manual on line. Living the dream!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom