Will the day come when ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Will the day come when …

Gel coat never needs to be waxed or a dull gel coat is factory standard and looks cool.

Gel coat doesn’t absorb red wine

Boat engines are as reliable as car engines.

Boat refrigerators will automatically defrost themselves

Boat decks never develop soft spots

Boats get reasonable gas mileage.

Boat electronics develop to the point that they never need to be upgraded, like a car radio

Teak becomes popular again because a system is developed to treat it so it never needs attention.

An anchor is developed that never drags and becomes so popular it’s dirt-cheap.

A device is developed to supply gobs of electricity that makes a genset a thing of the past.

Boats are produced that never have deck leaks.

Fenders are self-cleaning

A stainless steel is developed and becomes standard on all boats that never needs polishing and never rusts.

A forward-looking device will tell you to turn now before you run aground and underwater running gear is developed that are impervious to grounding damage.

A device standard on all planning boats that eliminates boat wakes.

Boat smells are a thing of the past because holding tanks are unnecessary. The toilet flushes directly overboard with effluent cleaner than the surrounding water.

Guidance systems are developed that don’t require skill to dock. You can turn it off if you want to practice that skill. Kinda like autoland for you pilot guys. The guidance systems works with an engine shut down.

Boat mechanics become scarce because they are hardly needed.

Coolers become unnecessary because a device is develop that makes an individual beer ice cold instantly.

Boats become cheap enough that the average guy can easily afford one and the water ways become so crowded that no one has any fun any more. Oops, scratch this one.

Sounds like you just stripped all the fun out of boating:facepalm::facepalm:

The self cooling beer can has already been developed. The First Ever Self-Chilling Can | Popular Science

However, at $4 a can without the beer and a capacity of only 10 oz, I'm not standing in line for one. I think they are better fit for backpackers than trawlers.

How about an environmentally-friendly, inexpensive, permanent anti-fouling bottom coating?

Some of those things HAVE been invented. The treatment system that discharges waste that's cleaner than the surrounding water is available, but illegal to use in most inland waters anyway, for political reasons.

Haha! Tim, I'd like to reprint that in my marina newsletter, with your permission.

Tim- sounds like you are having fun boating for sure!! :)
At least you are in sunny FL. We are too this week as well- down on treasure island. Loving the water temps!! I'm not waxing fiberglass or doing any boat work this week though. ;)

What are you all trying to do..Make it so everybody can afford to own a boat??

Then we would all complain that the slips were too expensive and that there are none available..

Oh we already complain about that too!

Just suck it up, grab your orbital polisher, your credit card and go maintaining... oh I meant to say boating

HOLLYWOOD
:banghead:

Break------Break

Capt. Hollywood was walking down the dock at his home marina when he encountered an old pirate friend

"Hollywood" it's good to see you. How are you" the friend said.

"Oh great" said Hollywood.

The friend said, "you don't look so great. You have a peg leg, a hook, and a patch over your eye. What happened".

"Oh that" says Hollywood. I got the peg leg when a cannon ball smashed through the rigging throw big wood splinters, and I caught one in my leg."

The friend said, "what about the hook".

"Oh that" says Hollywood "I got that when we got into a fight boarding a ship. Someone cut my hand off with a cutlass".

"Geez" the friend says. "What about the patch".

"Oh that" says Hollywood. "I got that the day after I got my hook".

Break------Break

The friend said, "what about the hook".

"Oh that" says Hollywood "I got that when we got into a fight boarding a ship. Someone cut my hand off with a cutlass".

"Geez" the friend says. "What about the patch".

"Oh that" says Hollywood. "I got that the day after I got my hook".

Geez says the friend, "How da ya take a leak"

At least you are in sunny FL. We are too this week as well- down on treasure island. Loving the water temps!! I'm not waxing fiberglass or doing any boat work this week though. ;)

Sounds like a good plan. We love Treasure Island, my wife still has a rental condo there. We keep our boat at Loggerhead marina just south of TI.

The weather has been rotten lately and too hot. Hope your AC is working well. We don't do a lot of boating this time of year, at least not away from the dock. Enjoy, the area. We're headed up north for the July 4th weekend.
The city of Gulfport puts on a great fireworks display that a lot of folks attend on their boats. It's just off the pier in Gulfport in Boca Ciega Bay.
4th of July Celebration in Gulfport, Florida

Or a gel coat that is biologically incompatible.
I have an idea (an expensive idea) for a bottom coating that stays shiny like new forever.

A very thin sheet of pure gold. :eek:
Gold is non reactive to seawater, they find coins that clean up with a quick swipe and look like the day the galleon sank.
Gold can be hammered so thin you can almost see through it.

I always have ideas, most of them are nutso.
:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom