Another Newbie, wanting to learn about trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

993guy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No name either
Vessel Make
No boat yet
Name is Bill, currently residing in Tenn. Born and spent the first 20+ yrs in Central Florida skiing, fishing and diving before spending 6 yrs. in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I've had the itch for several yrs to get back into boating and after a life changing event I may very well be doing it in the next year or so.

Very interested in trawlers, don't have the need for speed (at least not on the water) but do want to get back into fishing and diving. Thinking very seriously about live-aboard on a 40 - 45 boat but have much to learn before I'll be ready to make any decision (seriously considering Trawler Fest & University this Sept. in Balt.)

Look forward to conversing with the folks on the forum, hope I learn a few things.

TrawlerFest and U. should serve you well. Best rules of thumb: 1) Give a lot of thought to how you will use the boat, how many will be aboard, how long, how far, etc. 2) Get a boat that fits the way you use it 90% of time, improvise for the 10%. Can't tell you how many second staterooms are never used but make the first stateroom too small! 3) Don't even think about buying a boat without a professional survey and sea trial as part of the process.

Welcome aboard

Since in TN, come to AGLA at Joe Wheeler in Oct. great people, great info and Looper Crawl of boas there for comparison.

Thanks for the welcome folks. I still have lots of family in FL and go down there regularly. Quite a few in the Tampa/St Pete area so I'll have a chance to visit a few marinas when I'm down there.

Since in TN, come to AGLA at Joe Wheeler in Oct. great people, great info and Looper Crawl of boas there for comparison.
Thanks so much for this info, I've been looking for resources closer to (present) home, this is great.

TrawlerFest and U. should serve you well. Best rules of thumb: 1) Give a lot of thought to how you will use the boat, how many will be aboard, how long, how far, etc. 2) Get a boat that fits the way you use it 90% of time, improvise for the 10%. Can't tell you how many second staterooms are never used but make the first stateroom too small! 3) Don't even think about buying a boat without a professional survey and sea trial as part of the process.
I'm realistic enough to know I wouldn't be able to downsize too far, as much as I might like to. As for the survey, I've been involved with performance cars for quite a few years and we always recommend a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) for anyone wanting to buy one, there's no way I would buy a boat w/out a survey.

Thanks again for the tips.

All good information posted above. We did a lot of reading, online, magazines (Passagemaker is good), etc. There's so much information online these days, so that makes it easier, though you have to filter through a lot of it.

I'm realistic enough to know I wouldn't be able to downsize too far, as much as I might like to. As for the survey, I've been involved with performance cars for quite a few years and we always recommend a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) for anyone wanting to buy one, there's no way I would buy a boat w/out a survey.

Thanks again for the tips.

You bet. In mentioning "downsizing," you seem to be comparing a boat to a house or apartment - very problematic! :) - not the same beast at all, as you must pay for, maintain, dock and navigate the boat. Just a friendly caution from one who's cruised a 40 footer! Yes, a boat is always too small when you are living on it and too big when you are paying for it!
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom