Looking for Senator owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davechili

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot There
Vessel Make
CHB Senator
After 2 years plus of looking for a new old trawler, I decided on a twin engine Senator sundeck, that I have under contract. This sems to meet most of my and my wifes desires. Would appreciate any comments as to handling characteristics and problems.

One of the moderators Tom B has a Senator sundeck. Not sure but think his is a single engine, perhaps he will chime in soon.

Nice choice :thumb:

I'm TomB's marina neighbor. He's got a Senator 35 with a Perkins 135. He'll chime in soon.

What are your engines and length of boat?

Last edited:
Senator is 35' with 90hp Lehmans

*chiming in* ;-)

What do you need to know? Are you buying the 1987 43' in Vero Beach? Ben is correct, of course. BessLB and I have a single-screw 1986 Senator 35 and love it. Had it for four years as of July 16th.

Last edited:
No, the 35' one from Dataw Is, SC.> that has been on the market for several years. I recently revisited and got the price to where I wanted.
Have engine survey to go through, just wantd your impression of the traits of the hull, and overall impressions of construction,etc.

Oh THAT one... well... ummm... That boat is SOOOOooooo...___ different that ours, it's hard to compare apples to apple here. I will start by saying that I hope you got it very cheap and plan on putting some money into her. What is the most interesting about Senator's is that, while it's not advertised as a custom yacht, I have YET to see two that are alike.

Our hull is solid (non-cored) and is pretty good thru head sea and rough-ish conditions. She HATES beam and quartering seas. Our trip to Ocracoke last week has us tacking across the sound.

Look out for spongy decks!!! This is a big one. The PO on Skinny Dippin' recored the decks and that was one of the reasons we over paid for her. And were okay with it.

The systems, by the look of it, will need work. The fuel system will be old and poor, the charging/battery system will be sub-par, and I'd bet the tanks need cleaning. But this is hardy just a Senator issue. Many 80's boats need these things done.

Still, Senator, of ALL the west-coast Taiwanese yards of the day, had far superior craftsmanship and fit and finish rivals any yard of the day. We have put many dozens of thousands into Skinny Dippin' to make her right (and of course, she is never done). Will we take her to the Bahamas? Yea... maybe... but storage is on the lower end. But she is a fab-o boat for the Great Loop!

Be happy for you to come look at SD anytime you are in Eastern NC and chat you up with what I know about her. Just say the word.

Tom-

I originally had the same opinion, but was not as bad as I thought, as I knew the owner of the yard that did some work on her. All the decks are solid, the tanks are new, there are soft areas under two of the slider windows, and both doors need work. Starboard transmission is new, Interior is good. AC good, However she needs new electronics, Charger/inverter, water heater, engine room housekeeping was pathetic. aside from that she was a whole lot better than I expected.
I had always heard the most Taiwan hulls were bow heavy, do you think that contributes to her reaction to beam seas? Would some stern ballast help?

Last edited:
I had always heard the most Taiwan hulls were bow heavy, do you think that contributes to her reaction to beam seas? Would some stern ballast help?

That's a good question. I have no idea. I could try it and let you know, but it would take quite a bit. Of weight to overcome That would be something i hesitate to comment on as I am not the expert. For me just avoiding it is easier. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom