Window Discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyNavy

Vessel Name
Patriot
Vessel Make
'76 Marine Trader 40
I have a 1974 MT-40 that I am restoring. The salon windows have discolored with a white opaque area near the frames. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this discoloration or is replacement the only option. I have attached two pictures. Thanks for any advice. SB

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 102
I have a 1974 MT-40 that I am restoring. The salon windows have discolored with a white opaque area near the frames. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this discoloration or is replacement the only option. I have attached two pictures. Thanks for any advice. SB

Replacement is the only solution:eek:. The windows are made out of laminated plate glass just as your car windshield is made. The window molding is held on with a caulk like 3m's 5200, may actually be 5200:confused:. On the outside molding drill out the screw plugs and remove the screws, I took an extra bit and made it flat on the end like an end mill. This allows you to remove just about all of the remaining wood/glue that is on top of the screw. Next very, very carefully pry up one end of one of the molding pieces and using a serrated steak knife work along the molding as you lift it. You may be able to use a thin saw also. Old teak is very brittle and it will break if you pull it off to far:facepalm:. Gorilla glue does a good job of putting it back together:thumb:. The inside molding is held on with screws through the wall from the outside, you will be able to see them after you clean off all the caulk. I did not need to remove my inside molding so I do not know if there is caulk there also. While in there go ahead can glass the house side edges around the window especially the bottom and increase the window drain hole size. You will want to replace the window channeling too, it is the same as a cars and comes in 6' strips. J.T.Duncan

IF the glass is flat replacement is cheap and easy.

Tinted glass will warm the boat , clear with white curtains will not.

Some folks will seal the edge of the laminated glass with epoxy , to go longer before it happens again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom