Simrad CA 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russf

Looking at a boat with this Radar that was probably installed around 2001. I would appreciate any information about this system. It would be used for coastal cruising. I am concerned about it being obsolete now even though at the time of installation it was a high end product with probably more capability than the then owner required.

Thanks.

Hi Russf,

I had a full Simrad set up almost idential to yours, in 2002. I say almost identical since Simrad's were all built around the same software platform.

The radar is actually an Anritsu, a Japanese product, badged by Simrad. I have always found these radars to be top quality excellent. No issues there. Just a bit difficult to understand the 'translated direct from Japanese' manual!

However, when it comes to the chart plotter, beware. C Map has continuously developed their chart software, but Simrad hasn't developed the software within the chart plotter. That means that when using the newer C Map charts than say 2005, large areas show as very dark blue or black with no detail able to be seen at certain zoom levels. This is particularly frustrating since it happens close inshore just weher you need the detail.

In the end, I had the Tech Manager of C Map UK come to the boat to try all manner of fixes, but the bottom line came from Simrad when they stated exactly what the issues were - no software development for years, and the developers they had which could have worked on the product had long since gone.

For me, I am changing the plotter next season.

So, either use very old charts (I can give you some of the Engish Channel if you want!), or put up with no close in detail at certion zoom levels, or change the plotter and just use it as a radar.

Final point, (and apologies for the long drawn out missive!) if using MARPA, remember that if a tide is running, MARPA will not work accurately. Gets worse the stronger the tide and the stronger the wind effect. Reason? The Simrad is not 'sea-stabilised' since it is fed heading from a boat's heading sensor and speed from your GPS. This will therefore give eronious MARPA calculations. Use it as a guide, but not anywhere near accurate information! I sense a new thread starting....

Apologies for the long time to reply. I'm in Kuala Lumpur on a conference at the moment, and getting to emails has been tricky for the last few days.

I am going to METS in Amsterdam, and want to see the Simrad Glass Bridge and Broadband radar, and the Furuno black box radar.

Hadn't realised the size of the show there. Wow! Like the Southampton and London combined and on some heavy steroids....

*The Marine Electronic dealer "Johnson Hicks" in Santa Cruz CA, had extensive experience with Simrad.* I would give them a call and talk with the owners.

Hi Monterey10,

I left this post in another thread a couple of weeks back.
-----------------------------------------
Just come back from 3 days at METS 2009 - what a show!

Talked with the 'Product Expert' from Navico, and was told the following,

1 The work on rejecting interference from other radars has been more than moderately successful, but if 'close' to another radar you will see lines flashing across the screen when the transmissting antennas line up. 'Close' is determined by the power of the other radar. For example, a super tanker or naval vessel with powerful radars will interfere at a far greater distance than an small leisure craft. The closer other craft comes, the more the interference.

2 When I mentioned that I wanted to mount a bradband radar under a conventional radar, I was advised that it might not be possible to have them both working at the same time due to - interference! And apparently, it hasn't yet been tried! The only advice was to make sure that they were mounted so their spinning axes were exactly one above the other, but to expect interference.

My overall feeling? It's a stunning bit of kit, but needs another 12 months development to become a radar to be used in anger. I'll wait.

Back
Top Bottom