Bilge pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I have a relatively large and efficient bilge pump in my boat. But it can't suck up the last 2-3 inches of water at the very bottom. I'm looking for a solution to get rid of that last bit of water as it produces a lot of humidity and smell. Furthermore, the surveyor suggested I install a backup pump in case the primary fails.

I found that from Seachoice and from the picture I get the feeling this could work. Am I correct?

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 92
This pump claims to get the water level*down to only 3/8"

WHALE PUMPS - Super Sub Pumps<a href="http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29621&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10111&subdeptNum=10623&classNum=10624">

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29621&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10111&subdeptNum=10623&classNum=10624</a>

We use a small 2-gallon Sears shop vac. We have two on the boat, one with a filter for vacuuming the interior and one without a filter in place for liquids only. Gets every last drop out of the bilge.

The*Issue is that when the float shuts off all the water in the out line floods back into the bilge.*

I use a regular waterpump. Like a wash down pump. You need one that can run dry. With a small strainer attached to the end of the in line. The strainer is brass and screws to the bottom of the bilge. It gets just about all of the water.
You just have to*go without*a*float switch and run the pump when needed. I have a switch installed near the pump.
I also have the regular bilge pump with the float for when I am away from the boat.

You could also use a gusher ( I think they are made by Whale) pump with the same hose strainer attachment. They are manual

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 10:39:54 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom