Follow me, Left marathon for Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This the difference between Garmin the live picture and Navionics which isn't the same place. Navionics has a google earth type setting its nice, I also think Navionics is more accurate as far as location. After about 58 mile marker you really have to watch for shoaling on the inside of the bends.

Attachments

• image-2184645048.jpg
    image-2184645048.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image-548220271.jpg
    image-548220271.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3156813906.jpg
    image-3156813906.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 100
And hear tell it may have been in one of those wisdom circles. But if in you don't keep an eye out for them little flat bottom fishin boats and ya shake um up They may fire a shot across the bow. It was also said they'll call the next lock and if ya get in today it may be a ruff ride.

We boat on the TN River in Chattanooga area. Trust me, those little bubba fishing boats wont think twice about buzzing by you at 60 mph BUT, you pass them with a wake higher than their beer can, and they will take action! They really should make paint ball guns legal on the river. The boat with the most paint spots would be the biggest AH of the day:) Love watching you on AIS David, give me a shout when you land in Chat. I am at Erwin Marina. Safe travels.

We boat on the TN River in Chattanooga area. Trust me, those little bubba fishing boats wont think twice about buzzing by you at 60 mph BUT, you pass them with a wake higher than their beer can, and they will take action! They really should make paint ball guns legal on the river. The boat with the most paint spots would be the biggest AH of the day:) Love watching you on AIS David, give me a shout when you land in Chat. I am at Erwin Marina. Safe travels.

I had to laugh out loud thanks. The beer can is what got me. An I agree on the paint ball gun. I'm always curdious but between watching for logs the chart and gauges .... It can be easy to miss a camouflage fishin boat tide under a shade tree

I'm gettin a little nervious. I'm 20 miles from my first lock. I've been threw before, but it was a 26 ft and I always had crew. It feels like I got at least a 10 kt wind outta the NW. So looking at the chart I see I have a north and south wall in coffeeville. So I'm guessing the south is where I wanna be. But it might be tough gettin off when I get up no pun intended.

Attachments

• image-1120444159.jpg
    image-1120444159.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 87
I guess I should start callin marinas. And see if I can find a lean to.

I guess this means I'm in the hills now. Wow I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel, I just turned to 300 and I'm sure I'm losing more hair. Between the wind and worrying about the lock with the wind

Attachments

• image-842232626.jpg
    image-842232626.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 87
I just realized the last picture was dark. But the banks are getting higher and their stone now instead of the sand

Thursday night. Try the fried catfish if you stop at Bobby's Fish Camp. Next marina is Demopolis, one lock and a hundred miles.

As noted earlier, have your registration numbers handy. Last month Coffeeville and Demopolis requested numbers, homeport, and destination.

You should start hearing banjos about now. As far as the locks, set up on both sides before you get there. Have lines by both center cleats to tie to the pin. Remember in the lock, the wind swirls like a vortex so, the wind may push you opposite of what you expect. Welcome to river boating. You need BIG BALLS to lock through, the fender balls I am talking about:)

Thursday night. Try the fried catfish if you stop at Bobby's Fish Camp. Next marina is Demopolis, one lock and a hundred miles.

As noted earlier, have your registration numbers handy. Last month Coffeeville and Demopolis requested numbers, homeport, and destination.

So I should have my document in reach. Home port on there I guess. I really don't have one or destination

Just use what is on your transom for homeport if no USCG registered homeport and Chattanooga. Should be no problem. Lockmaster just filling out form.

I'm gettin a little nervious. I'm 20 miles from my first lock. I've been threw before, but it was a 26 ft and I always had crew. It feels like I got at least a 10 kt wind outta the NW. So looking at the chart I see I have a north and south wall in coffeeville. So I'm guessing the south is where I wanna be. But it might be tough gettin off when I get up no pun intended.

David, I would set fenders for both sides. It is difficult to predict the effective wind inside the lock. Wind can bounce off walls and ever swirl in a lock. If you are set with fenders and lines on both sides, you can go to the easiest side. Let the lockmaster know your situation.

Some say the first hundred to one twenty miles is boring You see a lot of the same thing. I think this is what it's all about just me the Father and Mother Nature

That is what people told us about going down the Mississippi, but we loved it. We entered via the Ohio and went all the way down to New Orleans and got out at the Industrial canal. 30 days on the Mississippi. It was a blast and I would do it again at the right time of the year.

I am enjoying your posts. Keep it up. (the posting I mean)

Well the guy at the first lock was very friendly. I made it threw no problem

Attachments

• image-2304288511.jpg
    image-2304288511.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-163157359.jpg
    image-163157359.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3006766576.jpg
    image-3006766576.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 80
I was gonna go on but I think Ill stay here and eat some cat fish.

Attachments

• image-2293248715.jpg
    image-2293248715.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 87
Wow

Attachments

• image-4265718271.jpg
    image-4265718271.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 81
Told you it was worth the stop !

Did the lockmaster ask for any info ?

I would never describe this as boring.

Attachments

• image-1111171727.jpg
    image-1111171727.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 70
Bobbies fish camp. Great fish and the only place to get fuel for the next 100 miles. I got a couple of neighbors this evening. I checked the bildges, nothing to speak of. The oil, Trany fluid and water all good The strainers and racors good.

Attachments

• image-4083213079.jpg
    image-4083213079.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-169572307.jpg
    image-169572307.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 81
This was a little place just before I got to bobbies.

Attachments

• image-3262037644.jpg
    image-3262037644.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 83
You 've got a pretty good grind to Demopolis tomorrow. Check your weather from 4:00 pm on. Looks like southern thunderstorms until dark. After that, got 7 locks in 70 miles ! No problem.

Sorry. Beer made me say that. :-|

Per Lagunitas Brewing Co: "beer speaks, people mumble" and "life is uncertain, don't sip."

You 've got a pretty good grind to Demopolis tomorrow. Check your weather from 4:00 pm on. Looks like southern thunderstorms until dark. After that, got 7 locks in 70 miles ! No problem.

Where's the 7-70. I didn't even look at the weather. I guess since I got away from the big water I've been a little lax.

Oh man I just looked. Looks like I'm gonna hit afternoon for sure and maybe during the day. Oh man I knew I shoulda but on a few more today. I got lazy, put it off. I know I can't go threw the lock in a storm. Are there any holding areas I should try to get to and anchor I don't know sat don't look much better. I guess I better do some studing. Thanks for the heads up. I'm really getting lax here, falling asleep at the wheel.

Well it looks like kemps or Chickasaw if the weather is bad. I should probably go to kemps and try to anchor before the afternoon storms. I got friends coming in to demopolis Friday nite.

Well looks like I might have til 5. If I can push 15 I could get real close but that's really pushin. And with traffic that goes to heck Wait an see. I'll get up early. I'm between two boats I hope I can get out a day break

Back
Top Bottom