Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizvagas Mark View Post
Hi,

I am new to the forum but keen to by an IG32 in the next 12 months in Australia.

Being single screw I am considering fitting a bow thruster to assist with marina manouvering.

Can anyone advise if this is feasible and approximate cost? $USD is ok I can convert.

Thanks,

Hi, and welcome aboard the board, fellow Brisbanite Mark. Where are you based, by the way? I'm in Springwood, and I have my Clipper 34 down at Horizon Shores. Yeah, great state of Origin win that - sorry Andy...makes the decider in Melbourne really interesting, does it not..? Can NSW win a series, or does Queensland make it 8 yrs in a row...? Sorry...brief off topic wander - couldn't help it. It's funny really, as an ex NZder I find it easier to relate to Queensland State, than I do Australia...must be something to do with size...don't go there..ok..?

Now, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but another approach is to get the boat first, as you might find it has one already, but if not, don't rush into it. My Clipper does not, and while sure...the first time or two out we sometimes muttered about maybe fitting a bowthruster... once familar with how it handles, and thanks to tips on this and other forums, (ok, fora for the pedants), we find we hardly ever feel the need now, and that has been the case for about the last 10 yrs. There is a heap of other gear I'd far rather spend good money on than something I honestly doubt I would use more than once in a blue moon. Yes, others who have them will use them more and swear by them, because they adopt methods of manoeuvring that use them, but if you don't have one, you adopt methods that avoid the need, and we have always managed to achieve what was needed without. Just watch the city river ferries - the monohulls, not the cats - and see how they manage at the jetties without bow thrusters. It's not that hard. There are others on here who will agree I think.