Log Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Should you log river trips that average 40 miles ?. Do most of you log every trip? Is it all just personal preference ?

Should you log river trips that average 40 miles ?. Do most of you log every trip? Is it all just personal preference ?

I make note in log each time aboard boat; taught that way from child hood on through to a-dult. :dance:

Longer durations usually result in longer entries. Each time during stays of any length (long or short) if addition or change has been made to boat I place entry and the complete details if important. I don't log each time I wash boat, neither do I do log water fillings... and, that's about all I don't log! Log entry is like a diary... only better... cause it's quick, simple and there's little to no emotion, just plain facts for future reference! :thumb:

Also, when selling the boat there will be years of documentation as to what actually happened to that boat during your ownership. And, God forbid, if there are ever court actions or insurance claim that require documented back up for your boat - the log is invaluable. Besides, upon occasion it's fun to reminisce with your Admiral about high points of boating years past while sitting on the hook and enjoying libations up on the sun deck or bridge! :D

Being live a boards neither do we. I keep a maintenance repair up grade log.

We log every trip and maintenance events. Just have a lined notebook, nothing fancy. It's fun to go back and read through.

I keep two log books.

One, we've had for a very long time. We make entries every time the boat leaves the dock. It is our blog of sorts, describing our adventures. I've had allot of fun digging up old boating memories in this logbook.

The second logbook is the boats log. It shows everything that is done to the boat, everything. Every fuel fill, every qt of oil. Every fix, repair or addition.

Each log book is a hard bound accounting book, hand written with entries dated.

I maintained the log for Budds Outlet on our laptop. It was a combination of Kevin's two logs. On our next boat I think we will use Kevin's approach. When we sold Budds Outlet I was asked for the maintenance log. I had to strip out a lot entertainment blog to provide a "just the facts" maintenance log.

An official "ships log" can help you if you are careful and log major items...say you are in thick fog and heavy shipping. having logged times of turning on nav lights and commencing whistle signals could come in very handy.

I also keep a maintenance/hrs/distance spreadsheet and a costs spreadsheet when cruising.

I can vouch for nearly every penny, gallon of fuel, etc..etc...because I use computer laptop nav..it's easy to keep up with while I'm mindlessly cruising along at 6.3 knots...especially when on autopilot.

I keep both a maintenance and cruising logs on Moonstruck. When I sell a boat, the maintenance log goes with it. It will tell the new owner what was changed or added and when, and how the scheduled maintenance was done. The cruising log stays with me. It documents hours of operation, destinations, who was on board, and any conditions or events during the cruise. It should be contemporaneous and no erasures. Corrections can be made, but lined out and initialed. A log book can verify your experience, and if necessary used in a court of law. On most cruises I keep it by day. It's not pretty because sometimes notes are being made while operating the boat.

Two log books would be a good idea. I only keep one, but had to come up with a imaginative way of recording that I ran aground, so it wouldn't concern possible future buyers.
Generally I record all work done, details of journeys, fuel usage, engine hours, mechanical problems, sail trim, weather, sea state etc in a diary format. Then I summarize the mechanical servicing and fuel usage on a chart at the back of the book for quick reference.

Marine stores sell purpose made log books, but I went for a simple hard bound blank book.

We follow the Navy practice and keep both a rough and smooth log.

The rough log is the trip journal, phone numbers etc ,

the smooth is for reference in the future , and is a legal document.

I've never kept a log, but now I sometimes wish I had. I guess it was a rebellion against the fact I have to accurately record all my medical consults, so I felt I did not want to do it for my recreation as well. However, as the memory dims, it would be kinda fun to be able to look back as remind oneself what and where you have done and been. Too late now really, so yes...do it if it's your thing.

I keep a diary in a spiral bound 5"x8" notebook with lined pages. They make great references I keep it beside me at the helm and make notes throughout the day weather tides speed vs rpm depths at various landmarks and anchorages. I also keep track of fuel purchases and miles covered.
When I was working I spent about 50% of my time on trips overseas. I have them all recorded in diaries back to 1969.

We follow the Navy practice and keep both a rough and smooth log.

The rough log is the trip journal, phone numbers etc ,

the smooth is for reference in the future , and is a legal document.

I have a good friend who is a retired US Navy captain, and had taught ship handling at the Academy. He keeps a beautiful log written in beautiful hand with an ink pen (not ball point). His wife doesn't like it. She says that he writes down when she goes to pee and how long it took! He says that when you leave the bridge it has to be recorded.:D:D

I have a good friend who is a retired US Navy captain, and had taught ship handling at the Academy. He keeps a beautiful log written in beautiful hand with an ink pen (not ball point). His wife doesn't like it. She says that he writes down when she goes to pee and how long it took! He says that when you leave the bridge it has to be recorded.:D:D

I don't blame her. This is supposed to be fun.

It's not like I'll be planning a full naval assault...

I don't blame her. This is supposed to be fun.

It's not like I'll be planning a full naval assault...

:iagree:

My daily log entry is either early in morn afore anyone aboard wakes or in eve as all get restful - I feel if I can't remember what happened during last 12 hrs to write it down... it's time to cash it in and go permanently swimming with the fish! :facepalm:

Got a log book. Sort of.

Usually just for recording fuel consumption and for new people on board to input there thoughts on the trip.

I never write about that sort of things.

I was there I know what happened.

SD

Yo, SD :D

Great to hear from you. Bring us up to date if time permits! :thumb:

Cheers, Art ;)

I keep a digital log on my laptop call Boat Priority Tasks. It's part wish list, part to-do list, part a record of all improvements and repairs since day 1.

I list all projects in order of priority. Right now I have 6-8 number 1's, 34 2's, a few 3's, etc. As projects are completed, they move to the historical log listing all completed repairs and improvements with the date of completion. I also keep a list of all part numbers for filters, belts, etc and fluid specs and quantities. If in doubt at the store, I can access the document on my Google Drive (like a cloud).

I also keep a hand written spiral notebook log of all routine maintenance performed. When I log scheduled maintenance, I also record the date and hour meter readings. Then I add when the next service is due in hour meter times. I also record each and every fuel purchase including date, hour meter readings, quantity, price and avg hourly fuel consumption. Each filter change, oil change or top-off also gets logged.

I never kept a log of all my escapades for fear that some day it might be used against me in a court of law. :hide:

I log a trip to the fuel dock. Obviously not as detailed as a 100 mile trip, but hey...how long does it take? And I can certainly never rely on my poor memory! I made up my own logs in Word, then have them spiral bound.

I keep a mtce. log which shows ALL work done and the details.

For routine, repetitive checks such as oil pressures, EGT, water temps and such I use a small binder rather than the main mtce. log. [ie. running checks or monitoring] That way small cahnges may be spotted.

For the routine work such as oil changes, filter changes and even repairs I have check sheet lists using X = check ; R = repair/replace; S=service adjust with the date and hrs of course and then if notes are needed they are written elsewhere in the log with all the details. That way I can easily scan the checks and then go find the details by date and eng. hrs.

Varnish, waxing, and such are kept as checksheets so I can track what was done as i found a long time ago that I would forget what was done specifically.

We keep a personal log with where we have been, weather, sea conditions, what we have seen of note, people, and so on. Both of us will look at it sometimes and it will remind us of good times and people met.

I used to keep a radio log but found it cumbersome when trying to run the boat so that went by the wayside a long time ago. I still have it set up so if needed I can grab it for any notes needed if something came up that pertains to us.

Gee Al, I haven't been that anal since my early teenage years when I scheduled each 15 minutes of each day.

I have a log book for AXE. Think its a great idea. Can't wait to start filling her in

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Attachments

• image-1031773038.jpg
    image-1031773038.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2189044687.jpg
    image-2189044687.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2273171308.jpg
    image-2273171308.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3784427446.jpg
    image-3784427446.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 82
I have a log book for AXE. Think its a great idea. Can't wait to start filling her in

Matt, Matt, Matt - have you not been keeping log as you totally rebuild AXE???

OMG! And... IMHO!!

These beginning days truly are the rebirth of your boat / the birth of its (your) log!

May I recommend you take some eves and start from the beginning of when you found her... the accounts of what you've accomplished and plan to accomplish will be priceless in years to come. Be as detailed as you’d like... you'll be glad you did for your own good, and, if/when you ever sell her the log will act as important, historical piece of your AXE! :thumb:

I keep a log of all maintenance actions on my computer and post it on the cloud. I also have a boat use log and document every time I use the boat and include everything I've done to the boat since the last outing. This also on the cloud. I also record engine readings I keep in my log book but not on my computer. I've found all this recording to be very helpful but sometime a pain in the neck to keep up with.

Last edited:
timjet; I've found all this recording to be very helpful but sometime a pain in the neck to keep up with.[/QUOTE said:
That's the trick. Figure out how to log it all without spending all your time at it.

With our next boat I plan to keep a maintenance and repair log separate from the cruising log. It will make it easier to see service intervals.

Matt, Matt, Matt - have you not been keeping log as you totally rebuild AXE???

OMG! And... IMHO!!

These beginning days truly are the rebirth of your boat / the birth of its (your) log!

May I recommend you take some eves and start from the beginning of when you found her... the accounts of what you've accomplished and plan to accomplish will be priceless in years to come. Be as detailed as you’d like... you'll be glad you did for your own good, and, if/when you ever sell her the log will act as important, historical piece of your AXE! :thumb:

Trawler forum is the log book for the AXE build mate! Lol

I'll just print off my thread and bind all the pages together and wa la. log book done! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom