Where is your "home" port and tell us a little about it..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome DODO. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Nice to see brothers from Europe joining in. Welcome, Dodo! Beautiful boat!

We berth in Campbell River, on the doorstep to beautiful Desolation Sound and beyond. Discovery Harbour Marina is adjacent to a large mall, which is excellent for provisioning your vessel whether resident or transient. Also has a full featured boatyard for those oops moments.

These photos show Pendrell Sound (calm & gorgeous) and Mitlenatch Island (dry grass).

Will post again with more images.

Attachments

• DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0576.jpg
    DSC_0576.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 95
We hail from Port Moody, BC. Our boat is moored at Reed Point Marina. Port Moody is basically part of the metro Vancouver area.

baldpaul--

Neat photos, thanks for putting them up.

To me, since moving here (Seattle area) in 1979, Vancouver has been and continues to be my favorite city in North America. Great setting, neat things to do, very classy place. I am well aware of the changes that have been occurring in the last bunch of years, some of which are not popular with long-time residents. But for the visitor, nothing has changed. It continues to be, in my opinion anyway, one of the great cities of the world.

My homeport is Port Everglades the largest, busiest port in Florida. There's more mega yachts here then bow riders and center console boats lol.

Fort McAllister Marina. Where Sherman ended his "March to the Sea" in the civil war. Cannon balls still lay on the river bottom.

Fort McAllister Marina. Where Sherman ended his "March to the Sea" in the civil war. Cannon balls still lay on the river bottom.

The Tennessee boys at Fort McCallister gave a good accounting of themselves. They were over run by Sherman's men, but still took only about half as many casualties as the Yanks.

Good thread. Its nice to cruise the world without leaving home.

My home port is Glenelg, (suburb of Adelaide) South Australia.
Its a small marina in the mouth of the Patawalonga river. We have easy access the St Vincent Gulf via a lock.

The good:
- 15 minutes from home
- low cost berths
- great position with beautiful sandy beach, nice restaurants & pubs within 5 minute walk
- marina residents are issued remote control for 24/7 operation of lock
- excellent fishing in the area
- uncrowded cruising; Sometimes I go all day without seeing another boat
- Year round boating; although the water is sometimes a little rougher in winter

The challenging:
- Minimal access to protected water; the gulf is considered semi-protected (some may argue that usual 3-15ft swell is not semi-protected)
- No commercial sea tow services; although excellent volunteer rescue team
- Venturing outside the gulf requires a good boat and careful planning
- A trip to other large cities is an major expedition (nearest are Melbourne 800 miles east, or Perth 2000 miles west) No ICW here.

Attachments

• 251606_111117115244735_STD.jpg
    251606_111117115244735_STD.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
baldpaul,
GREAT pictures. Makes me miss Alaska.

We were in Van a few days ago. Ate at a Korean restaurant on Denman Pl. Then went across the street to the desert place. Vancouver is such a worldly and wonderful place. I taught school there at John Oliver in the early 70s.

Ran my OB cruiser up Indian Arm then and anchored in beautiful weather. Heard lot and lots of "circling the wagons" Indian noises and many years later found out they were shooting a movie up there.

Moorage rates still very high?

We pay $7100/yr for an outside side tie berth. This includes 2000kw of electricity. Reed Point has it's pros and cons. It is one of the less expensive marinas in Vancouver proper. There are cheaper ones, but they are mostly up the Fraser River.

Here is my new home port with the rainbow bridge over the channel.
LaConner Washington State.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 141 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 141 copy.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 93
San Francisco to Tacoma

We just moved our boat and home port from San Francisco to Tacoma, Washington last week. It took us 5.5 days to cover the 850 miles up the coast and it is SO nice to be able to drive to the boat and get some work done rather than dealing with airports, security and flying.

:thumb:

Attachments

• delin.jpg
    delin.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 91
Island Seeker: Labelle, FL= access to both coasts of FL and islands beyond. Reasonable storage, salt of the earth people "Crackers".

Petrel: So.coast Cape Cod, MA = easy access to Nantucket & Vineyard Sounds, Buzzards Bay, Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, Elizabeth Islands. Warm water great fishing & cruising.

Carpe Diem's homeport is EPS at Espoo, Finland.

The port has quite a lot facilities for sail school and junior training. The club is heavily biased on sailing (majority of the 440 boats are sailboats), but they tolerate us non sailors as well.

We have a club house, maintenance facilities and saunas. The fire department keeps their boats also at our dock so they are close...

The best part is that it takes two minutes for me to get there...

Finally a picture:

Attachments

• image-76846461.jpg
    image-76846461.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 93
Carpe Diem's homeport is EPS at Espoo, Finland.

The port has quite a lot facilities for sail school and junior training. The club is heavily biased on sailing (majority of the 440 boats are sailboats), but they tolerate us non sailors as well.

We have a club house, maintenance facilities and saunas. The fire department keeps their boats also at our dock so they are close...

The best part is that it takes two minutes for me to get there...

Finally a picture:

Surrounds look nice! :thumb:

Get much weather there during boat season? Most boats go on the hard off season? :whistling:

All boats go on the hard as the docks gets totally frozen. During winter we usually do day trips to nearby island, by foot. The "weather" here is different to that over there since we have shallow waters and the archipelago that shelters us, so its short waves and a shoppy ride.. There are few places where it can get really bad (no sheltering islands) but its usually not that bad.

Last edited:
Great thread.

Home port is Anchor Pointe, a boataminium located just east of Toledo, Ohio on the western shore of Lake Erie. Not too many trawlers on Lake Erie - There are two in the entire marina out of 400 slips.

It's a great place to boat, the islands of Put In Bay, Middle Bass, and Kelley's are about 4 hours away at trawler speed, and there is plenty to look at. Lots of wildlife, great fishing, and it has a very small town atmosphere about it.

Have a 45' slip that cost a fraction of what it would cost elsewhere.

Here's the boat in the slip:

SeaMoose.pnghttp:
SeaMoose.png

SeaMoose.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my home port WAS Lakes Entrance in Victoria Australia....look it up, its beautiful. Now however our boat is at Rockport TX and will most likely remain there for the foreseeable future...

Our home port is "Salvador da Bahia". It is a 4.9 million people city with a beautiful bay. In this bay there are 52 very important weekend spots. For a year at least, there's no need to leave the bay to have lots of fun. The problem is that in Salvador, there are only 365 days of summer per year.

Attachments

• slide-2-728.jpg
    slide-2-728.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 93
  • slide-4-728.jpg
    slide-4-728.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 94
  • slide-7-728.jpg
    slide-7-728.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 78
  • slide-15-728.jpg
    slide-15-728.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 92
  • slide-16-728.jpg
    slide-16-728.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 87
  • slide-18-728.jpg
    slide-18-728.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 79
  • slide-30-728.jpg
    slide-30-728.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 85
  • slide-25-728.jpg
    slide-25-728.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 86
  • barra-grande-marau-bahia1.jpg
    barra-grande-marau-bahia1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 91
  • cachoeira-do-tremembe-marau-barra-grande-bahia.jpg
    cachoeira-do-tremembe-marau-barra-grande-bahia.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 87
Fernando: It's a great home port to be from. :thumb: We were fortunate to spend 2 months there in 2004. The cruising in the area was fantastic as were the people and the city.

Attachments

• BRAZIL 022.jpg
    BRAZIL 022.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 92
  • BRAZIL 073.jpg
    BRAZIL 073.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 83
  • BRAZIL 002.jpg
    BRAZIL 002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 79
  • BRAZIL 083.jpg
    BRAZIL 083.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 92
Hello Larry

Your're back home already?

Be Happy dude!

No boat here yet, but hailing from New Iberia Louisiana. We're husband and wife, and a six month old Airedale terrier (see profile pic). We're looking into buying a trawler yacht and travel all over the place with it in our spare time. And now we're on this forum and read all the stories from everybody, get distracted by travel blogs, and seeing pictures... owning, driving and spending time on a trawler looks even more fun than we already anticipated. Can't wait!

Last edited:
No boat here yet, but hailing from New Iberia Louisiana. We're husband and wife, and a six month old Airedale terrier (see profile pic). We're looking into buying a trawler yacht and travel all over the place with it in our spare time. And now we're on this forum and read all the stories from everybody, get distracted by travel blogs, and seeing pictures... owning, driving and spending time on a trawler looks even more fun than we already anticipated. Can't wait!

Dauphin Island, AL is a barrier island at the mouth of Mobile bay. gulf to the south, mobile bay and tombigbee river system to our north, and intercostal waterway to the east and west. Can be shallow in places but our 4.5' trawler depth is still not a problem. Several good anchorages on the north side and a beautiful anchorage in a deep water well protected cove on the south side behind the Isle Dauphine properties association. There is a marina here as well with fuel. Will be starting loop from here in late October.

Paris Landing on Tennessee River mile marker 66. Home is Paris,Tn 20 minutes from the boat.

Attachments

• 01-29-10 snow 007.jpg
    01-29-10 snow 007.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 8-12-13 006.jpg
    8-12-13 006.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 81
Glad to this thread continuing, the photo's(well most) are amazing.

Our home "port" is Signal Mountain, TN where, until recently, we sailed on Chicamauga Lake.

Our port away from home for many years has been Charleston, SC, where we sail, fish and generally go native.

Our goal is to have one of these (or something like it) and visit ports all over eastern North America.

Home Port. Whittier Alaska Prince William Sound.

Whittier is just the port in The most beautiful place in the world. There are thousands of secluded anchorages and historical places. Lots of commercial fishing going on. The shots of the Time Bandit of deadliest catch fame are when they were acting as a tender. Using big vacuum sucking up salmon into there crab hold. When not crabbing the boat does other things. That boat works all year.
The skipper swapped me a nice silver for some shrimp.
Nice guy's.

SD

Attachments

• Fishing 059.jpg
    Fishing 059.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Fishing 081.jpg
    Fishing 081.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20080622111339(1).JPG
    20080622111339(1).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 77
  • P1040585.jpg
    P1040585.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Fishing 027.jpg
    Fishing 027.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Fishing 058.jpg
    Fishing 058.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 91
Whoa man after seeing these homeports , I have got to get out more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom