Why Americans don't have generals on their boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
My General Elaine doesn't understand why Americans doesn't have Generals on their boats? the highest rank seems to be Admiral.....

Cees

The navy has admirals, not generals. :)

As they have Almirantes no Brazil.

My General Elaine doesn't understand why Americans doesn't have Generals on their boats? the highest rank seems to be Admiral.....

Cees

Could it be Argentina doesn't have much of a maritime tradition?

While in MS we spent last week touring the Shiloh battlefields and learning alot about the civil war - pretty amazing.

Jennifer is correct their were no Admirals except for the water support down the TN river) in the civil war but there sure were a number of Generals at least in the battle that started the civil war in April 1862.

While in MS we spent last week touring the Shiloh battlefields and learning alot about the civil war - pretty amazing.

Jennifer is correct their were no Admirals except for the water support down the TN river) in the civil war but there sure were a number of Generals at least in the battle that started the civil war in April 1862.

Remember Admiral David Farragut in the Civil War (or as we call it in the South, the recent unpleasantness)? He is famous for saying "Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead". That was in Mobile Bay.

Now, that's a real admiral.

Last edited:

Shiloh was brutal. About 20.000 total casualities in 2 days time. Of those about 3.200 were fatalities.

Cees

Cees, our admirals are generals when not boating. Especially at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_(United_States)

Congress finally authorized nine rear admirals on July 16, 1862, although that was probably more for the needs of the rapidly expanding navy during the American Civil War than any international considerations.[1] Two years later Congress authorized the appointment of a vice admiral from among the nine rear admirals: David Farragut.[1] Another bill allowed the President of the United States to appoint Farragut to admiral on July 25, 1866, and David Dixon Porter to vice admiral.[1] When Farragut died in 1870, Porter became admiral and Stephen C. Rowan was promoted to vice admiral.[1] Even after they died, Congress did not allow the promotion of any of the rear admirals to succeed them, so there were no more admirals or vice admirals by promotion until 1915 when Congress authorized an admiral and a vice admiral each for the Atlantic, Pacific and Asiatic Fleets.[1]

Union blockade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the Union fleet grew in size, speed and sophistication, more ports came under Federal control. After 1862, only three ports—Wilmington, North Carolina; Charleston, South Carolina; and Mobile, Alabama—remained open for the 75 to 100 blockade runners in business. Charleston was shut down by Admiral John A. Dahlgren's South Atlantic Blockading Squadron in 1863. Mobile Bay was captured in August 1864 by Admiral David Farragut. Blockade runners faced an increasing risk of capture— in 1861 and 1862, one sortie in 9 ended in capture; in 1863 and 1864, one in 3. By war's end, imports had been choked to a trickle as the number of captures came to 50% of the sorties. Some 1,100 blockade runners were captured (and another 300 destroyed). British investors frequently made the mistake of reinvesting their profits in the trade; when the war ended they were stuck with useless ships and rapidly depreciating cotton. In the final accounting, perhaps half the investors took a profit, and half a loss.

Fort Sumter National Monument - Fort Sumter National Monument

Where the American Civil War Began

Decades of growing strife between North and South erupted in civil war on April 12, 1861, when Confederate artillery opened fire on this Federal fort in Charleston Harbor. Fort Sumter surrendered 34 hours later. Union forces would try for nearly four years to take it back.

Off topic as well.
We came across an adventurous merchant ship Captain in an insurance case, his nick- name was "Up Periscope". Evidently he had a WW2 background.

As I understand the force structure the Brazil Navy operates the aircraft carriers , but the land air force uses the carriers.

When the navy has a problem with the air farce they simply do not turn into the wind , so no landings.

Could easily have a General on a flat top.

:) First I am a Dutchman married with my beloved Brazilian Elaine.

I thought that in dutch law per 20th of june 1956 the name "Admiraal" was replaced by "Generaal" But I seem to be wrong. The Rank "Admiraal" was cancelled completely and the Rank "Vice Admiraal" was replaced by "Admiraal" and made equal to the rank of "Generaal".

Confusing.

So from now on Elaine becomes the rank of "Admiraal"

:)
Cees

Are you guys referring to the War of Northern Aggression?

IMHO, it was the "war between the states." It was not a civil war. A civil war is where both sides fight over who rules the country. The south did not want to rule the U.S. but be allowed to secede and rule themselves. Right now it looks like they had the right idea.

"Right now it looks like they had the right idea."

The South didn't mind paying 85% of all US taxes , but when Lincolns version of crony capitalism (then called mercantilism) which would have destroyed exporting to , and importing from overseas markets , the war was ON!

The States can institute a constitutional amendment , or repeal.

Will Texas be the first to vote to repeal the 16th?

My last post is terrible, I love my Elaine so much. But as a dutchman I also love the 7 seas. 20+ years age difference even polish that........

Cees

Back
Top Bottom