View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
dougd1
Moderator Emeritus

Anchoring adventures.....

The generator had died so I pulled into a little cut off of the ICW somewhere between Galveston and Port Arthur, TX.* The cut was deep enough, looked like an old industrial site of some kind.

I dropped the anchor, a galvanized danforth.* I don't remember if I got the generator running (probably didn't) but*dark was coming in and it was time to leave.* We were trying to get to Port Arthur Yacht Club, our home at the time.

When I pulled the anchor rode (windlasses are for weenies with anchors over 50lbs.) the anchor would not come up.* No problem, probably stuck in the mud.* I'll just give it a little throttle.* No luck.* We just kind of spun around in a circle.* Reverse, forward, up, down....it wasn't budging.

This cut was in the middle of what's known as the McFaddin Wildlife Refuge.* Basically swamp land.* For as far as the eye can see.* I was just about to jump into the 8-10ft water to survey the situation when I thought to myself, this is a wildlife refuge.* They probably give diplomatic immunity to all wildlife.* Gators and snakes included.

Time for plan B.* WOT.* I had been easy on the throttle before.* Now was plan B.* I really didn't want to go to Plan C (anchor amputation).* With all 56 Yanmar generated horses Boomarang hunched down... and then POW!* Victory!

I had my*First Officer*steer the boat into the ICW as I pulled up the anchor.* It had a slightly bent shank and something caked in mud around the flukes.* Upon closer inspection I found a stainless steel strip with bits of broken greenish glass.* I had been snagged on a freakin' car!

Moral of the story:

"Never get out of the boat!" - Chef, Apocalypse Now
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote