Stink Pots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came ashore. Checked TF. Time for all you guys to get back out on your boats, sail or power. Behave and enjoy. Bye. Heading back out.

Don-where do I get one of those cool gauges? Does Defender carry them? I really need one on my helm! Even better would be a portable I can carry around and display as needed.

.rag boater
hanky blower
snail boat
string fidler
stick boater
bed sheet boater
captain bligh
whydontyougetareal boater
time waster
linen launcher
Low carbon footprint boater

thank you google.

Don-where do I get one of those cool gauges? Does Defender carry them? I really need one on my helm! Even better would be a portable I can carry around and display as needed.

Mine came with a prescription from my psychiatrist I have to take the medicine until the meter falls into the safe zone.

Came ashore. Checked TF. Time for all you guys to get back out on your boats, sail or power. Behave and enjoy. Bye. Heading back out.

No worries, David. We boat year round here...no need to packing it all in at once!

HA! Already there. Been aboard over 24 hours and don't plan to come ashore until absolutely necessary.

Anyway, our observations match the above; once you leave the immediate area of a harbor, 95% of cruising sailboats are motoring. Even when the wind is favorable.

So... most often when we see a sail boat, we call it a "power boat with a stick."

The sail boat term to end all terms:

AMISH BOATERS!!!!

THE END!!!!

And, you're welcome!!!

And I agree. If you are in a slow boat regardless of propulsion and you do not slow down to minimum steerage when you see a planing boat come off of plane to pass....then you deserve to be waked. To this day, the vast majority of slow boats do not understand this and continue to be frustrated when they get waked.

Lets see....you are going 7 knots and just how fast do you think the overtaking boat needs to go to pass you sometime this week???? An 8 knot pass will take 15 friggin minutes and you will still get a wake. Slow to 3...let him do 7. In two minutes this will all be over and everyone will be happy!!!!!

Tell me about it! Last time out (Friday), two high-speed, 35'-to-40'-something-long cruisers came up behind in Mare Island Strait, not far from the marina I was headed toward. I was going six knots, and they something twice that. When the first one passed, I changed course forty degrees into his wake, then straightened out. (From past experience, slowing down without communication doesn't result in the other boat's change in speed.) The following cruiser reduced speed, following close behind. Sensing his need to "go," I turned 30 degrees to one side so the fellow could proceed without my hindrance. Neither initiated radio contact even though my boat's name was "in their face."

Last edited:
Lets see....you are going 7 knots and just how fast do you think the overtaking boat needs to go to pass you sometime this week???? An 8 knot pass will take 15 friggin minutes and you will still get a wake.

Perhaps , but most displacement boats go at SL x 1 (the sq rt of the lwl) .

So if both boats are cruisers they are operating at a very low wave creation speed , so what if it takes a while?

In this instance the 49ft lwl boat isn't going to be very upset by a 64lwl boat pass.

The sail boat term to end all terms:

AMISH BOATERS!!!!

There's a lot of truth in that.

As for getting waked, I'm finding my soft chines give me a pretty lively reaction to wakes. Last weekend one 20-something power boat slowed to pass off-plane and we rolled pretty good. The next one, same size, went by on plane and we barely felt a thing.

I'm not complaining. If I haven't stowed my gear well enough to tolerate a little rolling, then shame on ME, not the guy who passed me.

Having owned planing boats my whole life, I know that running at anything above hull speed (which is 5 knots on some boats) puts out a big wake. Running on full plane makes you more maneuverable and puts out much less wake.

The worst wakes come while slowing down or speeding up again.

I've been tempted to just stay on plane and make everyone's life easier. But there's always a speed Nazi in every marina who'll yell at you for it. And those guys with the blue lights.

There's a lot of truth in that.

As for getting waked, I'm finding my soft chines give me a pretty lively reaction to wakes. Last weekend one 20-something power boat slowed to pass off-plane and we rolled pretty good. The next one, same size, went by on plane and we barely felt a thing.

I'm not complaining. If I haven't stowed my gear well enough to tolerate a little rolling, then shame on ME, not the guy who passed me.

Having owned planing boats my whole life, I know that running at anything above hull speed (which is 5 knots on some boats) puts out a big wake. Running on full plane makes you more maneuverable and puts out much less wake.

The worst wakes come while slowing down or speeding up again.

I've been tempted to just stay on plane and make everyone's life easier. But there's always a speed Nazi in every marina who'll yell at you for it. And those guys with the blue lights.

All so true...many just don't understand their boat and wakes.

I tell everyone that I'm not gonna slow down (at 6.3 kts getting places would take forever), so some still mistime their pass at either slow or fast of distance away and create a huge wake. Some hit it perfect and some is just bad circumstances of traffic/obstructions.

Agree with everything Bill said, but for the record sailboats do NOT have "right of way" and are in violation of the rules if they choose to tack into your path unexpectedly.

In a meeting or crossing situation, two boats, one power and one sail, not in a narrow channel, neither one constrained by draft, restricted in ability to maneuver, or commercial fishing, the powerboat must "give way" to the sailboat. The sailboat, however, does not have right of way. She is OBLIGATED under the rules to maintain course and speed.

Obviously power boaters should understand that sailors need to work with the wind, and show a little courtesy.

But under no circumstances can a sailboat "force right of way." We will all get along better out there if we could get this point through to the untrained in both camps, sail and power.
Well said. In SF Bay, many sailors don't seem to understand that a 30 ton trawler can't stop or turn on a dime. I do my best to estimate their course to give them room, but some seem bound and determined to chop across my bow, and expect me to yield. And then there are the kite surfers....

A few have made "why can't we all just get along" type comments. I am taking this as being in good fun. We've had our trawler almost three years now and are recovering rag baggers. I have no issue with the sail boats we cross paths with and agree with Al that it is other power boaters who torment on us on the delta. Mostly everyone waves at everyone, even that person a boat length away throwing a huge wake. :) I cannot possibly top Bligh's list of names for blow boaters.

Perla believes sailboats are "too close to water." Unlike a Coot with sail(s).

We call it "living below the waterline";

I'm also a convert from sail to power and I find that sailors are much more conscientious and courteous than power boaters. These are my observations and so they are coming from my personal experiences. Most power boaters on here are excluded mainly because the mere fact they are on here they want to improve their boating skills. Again, from my personal experiences, most powerboaters are not on here. Try this experiment,,,, when in a passing situation, give them a short blast (1 whistle) and see what happens. 99% of the time they will all smile, wave and wake you thinking the whistle blast was to say "hello".
I'm not going to defend my personal experiences because they are mine alone. Yours may be different.

Like the "Oklahoma" song line says "The farmer and the cowboy can be friends".
I find as a trawler operator at hull speed I have a lot more in common with sailboats than with "40ft speedboats". Except if a sailboat tacks on top of me in my water, but few do.

Last time out (Friday), two high-speed, 35'-to-40'-something-long cruisers came up behind... I was going six knots, and they something twice that. When the first one passed, I changed course forty degrees into his wake, then straightened out....The following cruiser reduced speed, following close behind. Sensing his need to "go," I turned 30 degrees to one side so the fellow could proceed without my hindrance.

There are a couple of the COLREG rules you might want to study. By your description of the event, you created a hazard and the second guy was probably trying to figure out what on Earth all the erratic maneuvering was about.

Look up "stand on vessel."

I find as a trawler operator at hull speed I have a lot more in common with sailboats than with "40ft speedboats". Except if a sailboat tacks on top of me in my water, but few do.

That's been my experience too. The only time a sailboat causes me any concern is as we're following one exiting the mouth of a river into the Bay and the sailboat is about to hoist sails. I have to guess which way they're going to tack before I can pass them. Depending on the wind and the skill of the crew it sometimes is quite a show.

When sailboats pass me I'm not tossed about, just embarrassed.

My problem with sailboaters is anchoring, not so much underway. Yes, I have them ignore the rules of the road thinking just because they have a main sail up and they are motoring they think they are sailing. When I go to the island and find a nice quiet cove with no boats in it, I can always bet on a sailboat to come in the anchorage and drop anchor right next to me. It's always too. There can be room for 30 boats, where do they drop? Right next to me.

I can say with 100% accuracy I found the cure. I turn up my stereo as loud as it will go before total distortion and play rap crap. I don't call it music. I found several CD's in a trade in and I've found them valuable as sailboat repellant.

I can say with 100% accuracy I found the cure. I turn up my stereo as loud as it will go before total distortion and play rap crap. I don't call it music. I found several CD's in a trade in and I've found them valuable as sailboat repellant.

Thanks for a good belly laugh!

I was wondering whether I should replace the rusting el-cheapo radio/cassette player that the PO had installed on the flybridge. I have a half-decent stereo somewhere, but never really had a reason to put it in. You've given me one.

I'm sure I can borrow some of those CDs like you have from my kids ;)

There are a couple of the COLREG rules you might want to study. By your description of the event, you created a hazard and the second guy was probably trying to figure out what on Earth all the erratic maneuvering was about.

Look up "stand on vessel."

If you're correct, the following boat must have been an idiot if she didn't recognize my earlier maneuver as a defensive act in response to the large wake caused the the first boat, which by the way, didn't follow COLREG. Most likely the second boat was not confused. The second boat later turned into the close-by marina so probably felt it wasn't worth making my life unpleasant with a large second wake and didn't want to make an effort to arrange a safe pass.

You weren't there, RickB. And I don't appreciate the lecture.

Last edited:
You weren't there, RickB.

Sometimes it is best to just remain silent. :rolleyes:

I didn't need to be there, you described performing a "crazy Ivan" when you were the stand on vessel in an overtaking situation. That is not one of the maneuvers the master of the burdened vessel would expect from a competent operator.

Look up "stand on vessel" in the COLREGS.

Sometimes it is best to just remain silent. :rolleyes:

Look up "stand on vessel" in the COLREGS.

You may have to explain "crazy Ivan" those never in the business.:D

Anyone who has seen the movie Hunt for Red October should know. I'll be back July 10. Leaving for Alaskan waters now.

Like the "Oklahoma" song line says "The farmer and the cowboy can be friends".

Bruce, you have got to update your music collection. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom