Groco Paragon Senior Water Pressure System Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Anyone know of a more economical replacement? 48 Californian 3 heads 5 sinks, 3 showers, Washer/Dryer. I would like to avoid a 2000+ replacement cost. Any help would be appreciated.

plumb a couple of 3+gpm pumps in together 9good for backup too). or one of these 7gpm 12v...

Jabsco 52600 Series PAR-Max 7.0 Water System Pump

or any of the small 12v ones and go to a big box store and get a cheap shallow well pump and plumb in when on 115v...when most likely using the washer.

Have you looked into repairing it? The Groco Paragon Senior is a fine pump. The Paragon Junior on my boat is over twenty years old and it's only needed a belt and pressure switch in all that time.

Paralleling the pumps will be OK but first change them over if necessary to a home style pressure switch .

These are adjustable so with some tweaking 3 pumps don't operate with a single faucet opening.

Repair would be my first choice , a good quality pump second and a gang of cheap RV pumps third.

How often is huge flow , dishwasher , washer , and 3 folks showering required?

Paragon

Our "Jr" needed repair; I'm going to call it the pressure regulator but the round gizmo on the top failed (after 20 years) and I choked buying a $300 replacement part. Bought a Shurflo Aqua King. More pressure than I wanted but it is adjustable, we blew a couple of the "pigeon bands" on the old Quest connections. Cost about $200 from Defender, easy install and very quiet.
Bill Noftsinger
Amazing Grace

Thanks, the problem I'm having is the DC motor runs buy no water flow. I have looked into rebuilding the pump but I just cannot find a reliable marine mechanic here in NE florida. My compensator tank holds pressure but I get water flow from the airfitting? I am thinking the diaphragm has ripped but the tank is one piece and I don't know if it has a diaphragm.

The motor is the most expensive part of that pump. The pump is pretty simple. If the pump is turning and not moving water then the impellers must be bad. These are two hard rubber / plastic hockey puck like things that wobble on excentrics on the shaft.
Go to the Groco website, www.groco.net , click on "Service Manuals" , click on Paragon Senior DC, this will get you a parts list and exploded drawing of the pump.
If you don't want to deal with the job yourself, contact Groco. I'm sure you can send it to them for a rebuild.

If the pressure tank isn't holding air, replace it.

Well overdue but I have fixed my freshwater pump problem. It was not the pump but the diaphragm in the compensator air tank was torn. I replaced the original Groco PST-3 with a 7 gallon tank from Lowes for 69 dollars. Works like a champ now.

That's really strange. A waterlogged pressure tank can't prevent a pump from delivering water. What usually happens with a waterlogged pressure tank is that the pump runs often but for only a second or two at a time when a faucet is only open a little. This is hard on the pump and pressure switch.

Something else must have been going on and you fixed it when you replaced the tank. I can't for the life of me figure out what that might have been.

You did good putting in a bigger tank. Check the air pressure in it. For a Paragon SR. pump, the tank pressure should be about thirty pounds.

bnoft, I hope you didn't throw away your Groco Paragon JR. I'm pretty sure that sealed pressure switch can be replaced by an off the shelf Square D pressure switch for about twenty bucks. You just shouldn't do it on a gasoline powered boat because the Square D switch is not explosion proof.

Oh no the Paragon SR. pump is still working and in place. They are able to be rebuilt for a few hundred dollars. I don't know why it wasn't pumping with a torn bladder but it wasn't. The new tank is pressurized at 28 psi.

I'm pretty sure that sealed pressure switch can be replaced by an off the shelf Square D pressure switch for about twenty bucks. You just shouldn't do it on a gasoline powered boat because the Square D switch is not explosion proof.

Good advice , at times the threads used on the WP pressure switch are not standard.

This is the case on the old PAR belted units .

Remove the switch , break off everything but the threaded portion , drill it to accept small tubing and solder it together.

Now a > $18 switch (20-40 PSI or 30-50 PSI) from any box store will last almost forever, and a replacement is everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom