Mobile to chattanooga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Carter's Cove II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Can some tell me on average how long this trip is. And the last decent airport is to pick someone up before I hit a lock.

Dave,

Made trip from Gulf Shores to Florence AL about one month ago. Left Gulf Shores at 7am on Tuesday and arrived in Florence at 3pm on Sunday. We traveled hard but had strong down current and barge lock delays. Current should be better but you can expect lock delays. While I have not made the trip, marina talk is Chattanooga is 3 easy days from Florence, but again factor lock delays.

Your first lock is approximately 130 miles from Dog River, so Mobile only airport option.

Have a good trip.

Thank you I'm sitting at the wharf in orange beach. It doesn't look like I have anyone coming to help me. I hope the guys in the locks will work with me.

Thank you I'm sitting at the wharf in orange beach. It doesn't look like I have anyone coming to help me. I hope the guys in the locks will work with me.

Get plenty of fenders out. Catch a floating bollard at your midship cleat. Use a boat hook or boat pole to push off the wall. Tell the lock master of your situation, and ask for a slow ride up or down. They can regulate the flow.

Debris should be fine, meaning still enough to be on watch but not like spring floods. Suggest asking lockmaster if any bollards are missing or inoperable. We saw several, after approached to tie. No problem with help but could be issue singlehanded. Suggest rigging well before lock in that several have funky currents due to spillways and canals. Wear your PFD when in lock. I don't think you will have any problems. Bigger issue is barge watch !

Go to the Complete Angler, have a few cold ones, try the shrimp and grits, and relax !

Ok I'm heading for mobile bay. I hope to get threw it today.

Attachments

• image-2197518742.jpg
    image-2197518742.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 95
Wow and no one to help with a free boat ride...... As stated take your time and most of all enjoy the ride. Oh and take lots of pics.

Dog River last fuel until Bobby's Fish Camp, but cheaper and fresher at Demopolis. Check Active Captain for anchorages around MM 50. Check Waterways Guide for updates re bridge repairs and closures. Will try to look for you.

Try asking someone on another boat to help you if they have more than 2 crew onboard.

Great idea. The good lord has always watched out for me. Even tho lately I think he's been busy..

Bridge closures begin July 8. Dredging between MM 78 to MM 88, monitoring 16.

If you stay at Dog River they will give you a card listing each lock and bridge and what channel to call them. I seem to remember that one of those first bridges won't answer unless you call them by the correct name. I just singlehanded all the locks on the Tenn Tom. As said before just rig beforehand. Call the lock on approach so they can get ready for you. Be prepared with your documentation number. They will ask. One line midship. Call the lock and tell them when you are secure. I never saw a need to have to push off, thats why you use fenders.

. Be prepared with your documentation number. They will ask. One line midship.

I've locked through on the inland river system an untold amount of times. I have never ever been asked for my USCG documentation # or the state registration #???

They will ask on the Tenn Tom as well as ask for your origination and destination. At least the first few locks, then I think they call ahead.

Back
Top Bottom