Cabin Roof edge/Teak decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant Kettler

I am in the process of purchasing a 1983 36ft Albin Trawler. On the cabin roof's rolled edge there is cracking, and deterioration for aprox 6ft on the port & stbd side bottom of the edge. I have been told that this is a problem with Albin's. It is fixable, but does anyone know what causes this problem? Where is the leak comming from? This boat also has aprox 200 teak deck plugs missing, and three deck spots that do not dry up after a rain, and the rest of the deck has dried. I will have all of this repaired, but would need to know the cause from the rolled edge cabin roof. I know the cause of the deck problem, Any help or suggestions, Thanks Grant

"I will have all of this repaired,"

This could cost lots of boat bucks . depending on how well you choose to have the job done.

$20K is not out of range , depending.

You just have to plod through it if you know what to do...if not the yard will take large sums of cash and figure it out for you....good luck!

Attachments

• Photo361.jpg
    Photo361.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
If you can describe in more detail and or picture it would help. The real question is it structureal. If structure then it could be some bucks.

My lugger has an area that is very close to the helm door on each side where when tied to a piling and the tide goes out the piling can hit the roof. I had a large chuck of the "fold down" break off because I didn't know about the alignment issue. Look to see if the roof goes over the rub rail, thus causing cracking if a piling hits it during a falling tide.
img_164459_0_7224908b2e5ec56cebd53ef915be2e65.jpg

The piling to the port side of the boat was the cuprit.

Do you mean the leading edge of the cabin "roof" edge, where the flybridge joins on? That joint separated on my boat, I remember someone else posting about the same issue with another brand of boat,so it happens. Involves stripping back to the defect, repairing/replacing and resealing. Trouble is the rot can extend, imagine the defect letting in water, under pressure of wind.
Hope you get away with spot repairs to the deck. Start replacing plugs. What`s the caulking like?

I have a 40 Albin, and have re-caulked decks, fixed leaky windows, etc. When we find a leak we jump on it as soon as the rain stops. In a thunderstorm now and I am not getting rained on which is a good thing.
Just do it yourself.
Jay

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom