Mounting a flag pole socket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I would like mount a flag pole socket aft on the gunwale. The only issue is my stern running light is mounted center (see pic). I recall reading that proper etiquette in this situation is to mount the socket/pole off centered to the starboard side.

Any recommendations/thoughts on this potential installation?

Attachments

• 2121927_4.jpg
    2121927_4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
off center is fine for either one

Last edited:
With seating aft , use a tall flag staff and a wool flag (not nylon) as the flapping noise can be a PIA.

Appreciate everyone's recommendations. I picket up a 1" flag pole socket and a long teak mast at West Marine yesterday. Three 3/4" #10 screws and a bed of 5200 secured it nicely (and permanently). It really doesn't look bad off-centered.

I'll look for a wool flag--I can definitely see how the flapping of nylon can get annoying after an hour or two!

Three 3/4" #10 screws and a bed of 5200 secured it nicely (and permanently). It really doesn't look bad off-centered.

Screws into GRP?

Nuts and bolts with a large washer set will last longer.

At times boarding folks will grab your flagstaff to use as a hand rail.

The gunwales are a starboard like material. Unfortunately, there is no easy/ready access to the underside of that portion of the gunwale to tighten nuts. Longer SS screws (1"+) would go through the gunwale. Yes, bolts would have been ideal if I could get to the underside. I jokingly think the gunwales would rip off or the small staff break before the mount breaks loose, but I'll avoid using it as a cleat! :)

You had me wondering about lateral loads and "pull out" strength of screws into wood or equivalent. I came across an interesting article from the "Engineered Wood Association". The withdraw load of a #10 screw (3/4" depth) into plywood is about 400 pounds--lateral is close to 900 pounds. Of course this depends on torque and other conditions.

Last edited:
"Of course this depends on torque and other conditions."

Like the leverage from a 5 ft flagstaffand 200 lb guest?

Flag staff is not that long. I went with a 16"x24" Ensign and a 30" teak staff, which is right for my boat length (23') and looks good. I have to hope it holds and no one does pull ups from my staff--simply no access under that part of the cap. Not many alternatives. The math tells me it should be just fine; but I do agree bolting would certainly have been ideal.

Had a similar dilemma since the transom ladder/gate was in the center. After a bit of research, located the flag staff to starboard to follow recommended practice. Haven't noticed annoying flapping sounds from the nylon flag, however.

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A66733336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Same here, VT. No access from below, so the flagstaff mount is held in place with wood screws, stbd of the centered nav light. No adhesive on my mount, though. I suspect if anyone tried to pull from the flagstaff, the cast chromed base would split before the screws let go. Might be different with a SS mount.

I usually remove the flag if we'll be using the swimstep a lot since it overhangs the swimstep and impedes access.

img_164739_0_5b607801ffa4b748638205f8a0f5c4d6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom