Journey of a Lifetime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They just passed under Golden Gate Bridge. Am awaiting their photos.

img_164632_0_e78d23048ea7d577789cb8ac66376124.jpg

Day 8
Today was a real record breaker for us. We left the dock in complete darkness at 0446, our earliest start. We crossed the bar coming out of Eureka in total darkness and fairly heavy fog, our first. We headed out into the ocean and had run almost an hour before the first signs of daylight showed up, our first predawn departure. And today will be the longest day we’ve been out, both in total hours and total miles.

As I’m typing this it’s almost 6:00 p.m. We’re about 45 minutes out of San Francisco Bay. By the time we enter the bay we’ll have well over 200 miles and by the time we anchor for the night (another first) we will have cruised somewhere around 13.5 hours, another first.

Fortunately it’s been mostly a relaxing day. The swells have been less than 2’ most of the day and there haven’t been many areas where there were wind waves. The bar crossing coming out of Eureka was pretty flat and we expect to enter SF Bay on a slack tide or slight ebb. That should also be a non-event.

Dinner is in the crock pot (Pork Tenderloin with potatoes and carrots) and cottage cheese and maybe some broccoli. Stuart doesn’t like broccoli so that may get nixed.

This afternoon we had to go off the autopilot and weave our way through a fleet of fishing boats as we got within 50 miles of SF. That was about the only excitement we’ve had all day. To be honest, it’s been somewhat of a long, boring day, but that’s better than the rough day we had going to Ilwaco.
\
Well we finally make it. We passed beneath the Golden Gate Bridge around 7:00 and were anchored inside around 7:15. We made it. It seemed at times like we were never going to get here, but we’re in. Tomorrow we’ll make the 72 mile trip up to Stockton and the trip will be done. Doug and I will be flying back to Seattle on Tuesday then I’ll jump in GW’s car and head for home.

As always after one of my long trips I’ll post some notes on my memories and thoughts about the trip. But for now, the first margarita is gone, there’s another standing by and probably another after that.

Tired but happy GFC

img_164639_0_25fc9ab9a018a3b98339009be97b4e3a.jpg

img_164639_1_eacb845937757085929e1f6febbcb576.jpg

img_164639_2_0dd0c574560cad6754c3268078420636.jpg

img_164639_3_e6f4b6fa3373e2a1b9195f758fac90e5.jpg

img_164639_4_2d63acb20fd52f92fc54ce566b93e3e5.jpg

img_164639_5_764cf8ca3eb1f214a08c1690bfb7d997.jpg

img_164639_6_bd176e55fd98570f29bdb47a5a957fba.jpg

img_164639_7_175d2220ec8535ff97b3612db686478f.jpg

img_164639_8_b10c60b3516d383d1eaa7b686c86b779.jpg

img_164639_9_d76ef58b7456b0925d9bba3fd6dabec2.jpg

I have some videos but I’ll wait until tomorrow a.m. to upload those.

We're going to have some pork roast then probably another adult beverage or three, then we're headed to bed.

GFC,

From the looks of the pics you got to experience that amazing fog horn at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Years ago I did a delivery of a race boat to The City and had a great sail up the coast until the wind died south of the Potato Patch. The typical bay fog was starting to roll under the bridge, as was I when the horn sounded for the first time.

I think I must of jumped straight up about a foot.

Congratulations on your arrival and to a great trip report!

HOLLYWOOD

I uploaded the videos while we were dining, so here they are. Enjoy....

We anchored out last night in Richardson Bay(?) and got the snot beat out of us. I had left one of the forward hatches open so I could fall asleep listening to the fog horn. It was great to fall asleep to but at some point in the middle of the night I was awakened by a hurricane going through my cabin. Between the wind, the boat jumping around on the anchor and the waves slapping against the boat it was kind of tough to get back to sleep.

I woke up at 0600 this morning, showered and now feel like a new man. Doug had the coffee ready and life is good.

Here's the name and slip number of the marina we're headed to....
River Point Landing
4950 Buckley Cove Way
Stockton, CA 95219
209-951-4144
B7003. “B” dock, 70’ slip 03.

Stuart had mentioned an informal dock party for any who wanted to show up. The beer will be cold and the smiles large!

If you're in the area and would like to come down and share a cool one, you're more than welcome!

It's been great to follow along with you guys -- the pictures & videos have provided a real "feel" of your experience. It's probably as close as I'll ever get -- at only 40', it's unlikley I'll be poking my nose into that big water, other than maybe a sojourn up the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Peter Ricks, from Pau Hana, told me about the send-off event on the Saturday before you left, but I was unable to make -- wish I had.

As we watch your slog up the Delta, I just want to say thanks for letting us tag along -- you've provided hours of armchair entertainment!

-Vic

I was stationed at Letterman General Hospital not far from the far tower end of the GG bridge. I saw the bridge in so many different fog combinations and it always amazed me. I was an X-Ray tech at the hospital and one Sunday while on call a civilian came in that had jumped off the bridge and lived. I X-rayed him and he was in pretty good shape overall. He did it to see if he could make it. At that time he was the third one to ever do it.

That NYK container ship has a dock about a football field length from my boat. I see them constantly in LA.

You have made great time going down the coast and you have made a very enjoyable week for me. I look forward to seeing the trip to Sacramento.

And our hats off to all of you who have followed along with us. It was fun for us to look in when we had reception and see all the activity. So thanks to you too.

Dang it. AIS was lost on my (work) computer and the Spot is blocked......This ain't no fun. Looks like a long river journey.

They passed Pittsburg at 10:55, per Spot. It appears that there are few to none AIS receivers in that area. There is a program for free AIS receivers -- guess there just isn't much call for AIS observing in the Delta.

Guys: I felt everything from your enthusiasm and joy to your nausea and stress on this incredible trip. Thanks for towing the Trawler Forum dinghy load of frustrated cruisers along with you. Arriving at the Golden Gate is something that few of us will ever do, let along the rest of the trip. Of course, it ain't over till it's over, and I won't do the Margarita thing till I hear your all docked and safe.

healhustler, break out the salt and limes...we got in here around 2:30 and were welcomed by a couple of members of various forums. The welcoming committee joined us for a cold one or three and we're now just kicking back.

It's good to be home and will be even better when I finally get home tomorrow night. Doug and I fly out to Seattle just before noon then I have a 3.5 hour drive from SEA to home.

Does Stuart plan to keep the boat in Stockton long term? (Sorry if you've covered this.) I met several people over the weekend who are at river pointe and they were all singing it's praises!

I'm glad you guys had such a great trip. It has been fun to follow along.

Wish you had left Richardson Bay at a reasonable hour like 0900 hours. Then could/would have intercepted you in Carquinez Coot and given horns' greeting. ... At home, lost track of you on AIS, northeast of the Brothers in San Pablo Bay.

img_164788_0_3ed81655c1c59a1cdbc8169386c7867d.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, that would have been nice and very welcomed!

Nothing new to add in the way of photos or videos. I have some that I haven't loaded but I'm too pooped to participate right now. As I write this Doug and I are sitting in the Sacramento airport waiting for our flight to Seattle. Both of us are exhausted and looking forward to getting home. I have a 3.5 hour drive ahead of me that I'm not looking forward to but that's life in the little city. Doug has promised me a 5-hour Energy Drink once we get to Seattle so I can stay awake on the way home. I might need it.

To make a very long (10-days long) story short, this trip was pretty successful and fun by all measures. I have some final thoughts to add but that also will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. It meant a lot to each of us to know there were many at home watching as we made the journey. In a way, having all of you out there kept us grounded. Well, maybe that was the wrong choice of words when dealing with a boat trip. What I probably should have said was it helped to keep things in perspective.

I'll check in tomorrow to post the photos and videos. Later Guys and Gals!

Tired but happy GFC

So I have one question: Did Doug's super secret expensive sea sick watch work?

Since the guys are beat tired and still traveling today, I'll step in with a couple of pictures from yesterday.

Giggitoni Ray and I arrived at the slip as the TF Welcoming Committee. We barely got there in time to rig up a finish line ribbon and checkered flag. Just as we were stretching it across the slip entrance, Following Seas appeared in the marina fairway.

Here's a couple shots of Stuart threading the needle and the crew with their welcoming gifts from Ray and me of a box of Klondike Bars and a bottle of local California Delta Bogle Winery Old Vine Zinfandel.

img_164942_0_0ce3fc4508b67cd6f8b6b1e88121de00.jpg

Stuart, Mike and Doug (l-r)
img_164942_1_c553750ec297ebcfaea6132c06e5f517.jpg

It was great meeting the guys and visiting for a couple of hours after a welcoming toast. We got a grand tour of the good ship Following Seas from Stuart. That engine room and those MAN engines are enough to make any Perkins/Cummins/Cat/Lehman owner green with envy. The difference in scale is impressive!!

Welcome to the California Delta, Stuart!

A box of Klondike bars!!! That is just awesome. Bet Doug opened the package right away!! So are Klondike Bar are now the official ice cream of TF?

Hey, what happened. No pictures or videos today. Think of your audience. We're not tired.:D

Seriously, it was a great trip, and picture book perfect. Congratulations all around. Thanks for letting us tag along.:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom