View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There is good information on the Halvorsen history at Halvorsen Club of Australia. plus a list of the vessels on the Club register. I considered joining but was only welcome as an associate because we are an IG; we would not be allowed to raft up at Club events though we could have anchored nearby at a respectful distance. We did not join.

I would like a reference to Island Gypsy in the Halvorsen Heritage if possible.

Halvorsen built a wide range of boats. Apart from the eponymous cruisers, many of which went into a large hire fleet of maybe 50 boats, ranging from 25 to 40 ft or thereabouts,( I hired them a couple of times), they built racing sailboats we call yachts, tugs, air-sea rescue boats, water police boats. I read that the Ryde factory in Sydney was sold to the Armed Forces, interesting, it now operates (just) as a decrepit boat repair facility pending a residential site redevelopment. The old cruisers are treasured and restored, like vintage cars, a good one is a joy to see at a boat show. I have seen one built in steel.
Mark Halvorsen has been at recent Sydney boat shows with a Selene. For a while he had the brokerage at the ex hire cruiser base at Bobbin Head on the Hawkesbury river after it was sold off, but not now. I think Harvey Halvorsen, credited as designing the IG, is living in northern Sydney.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote