Trawler disc box thought.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Not long after it appeared I started using the Discussion box and find I don't often enter a thread via any other means. I've come to the conclusion it may be a thread killer. As soon as a thread drops off the bottom of the box ... that's it I'll bet. But that may be a good thing as many here don't like long discussions. Perhaps it's a media induced trait. Now that there are many more people on TF it's amazing how fast a thread goes to the bottom of the box.

I'm not suggesting changes or grinding an axe. Just an observation but I would encourage all to browse the whole forum and not get stuck in the box.

What is "the discussion box" I've never heard of it

The box (window is probably a better word) is just to the right of the posts and it says "Trawler Discussions" at the top of the "box".

It's the list of the newest threads whereas the top thread shown is the last thread posted on.

I must admit I do use that box as my first 'go to'...but then I also use the main page at least once a day...

I certainly agree Eric. The box is great as it shows at a glance which threads have been added to since your last login, but if the thread drops off the latest 20, it often dies.

As the space under the box is blank, maybe it could be extended to include the latest 40?

"New Posts" on the top bar is my go-to feature when something drops out the bottom of the "Discussions" box. It lists everything in sequential order, but highlights where you last visited the site with this; The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.

I belong to, and frequently post on, a forum that has over 150,000 PAYING members.

You would not believe how fast a thread can disappear.

It really pays to have a interesting thread title.

Trawler Forum? Pretty slow and sedate in comparison. I kind of like that.

Mike

You think this is slow you should have been here 5 years ago.

"interesting thread title"? I'd rather it be descriptive. Lots of thread titles are cute but tell NOTHING about what the thread is about.

I have to confess to my own reliance on the Discussion Box to do my quick takes of what is going on in the Forum. Sometimes if I'm not visiting for a day or two, I miss titles completely. Point for thought, Eric.

"New Posts" on the top bar is my go-to feature

+1 on that! Once I found the "New Posts" link I stopped even looking at the discussion box. All the posts I haven't seen yet, in order. Some days I have more than one page, so I'll skip right to page 2 (or whatever) to read them in chronological order.

Murray M,
Thanks for the heads up on the "new posts" feature. I haven't looked at lots of stuff and I've been here since 07. It was a different website then and I can't even remember the cover pic. Looks like I've got to get around more.

There are loads of options available for viewing threads on this site. Besides the "New Posts" tab you can also subscribe to threads without actually posting in them. Once you subscribe to the thread check your user control panel when you sign in and all threads you participated or subscribed to will appear on that one screen. Adjust your "email notification" settings in your "user CP" to your desired settings.

It really pays to take advantage of the features available here and I encourage everyone to poke around a little. It can really enhance your forum experience.

PS. You can just as easily un-subscribe from any threads you have lost interest in too.

Back
Top Bottom