Propane Dinghy Motor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just purchased this motor and after several hours of trying to start it finally brought back to West Marine for a refund.
I t seems there is a fuel regulator and a banjo bolt that need to be bled if it won't start.
After watching a trouble shooting video that seems rather odd for a new product. The video shows the 5 horse which is different
And after talking to Lehr tech I found these devices impossible to gain access to with a paper clip and or open end wrench.
So I can imagine trying to do this bleed process while sitting in the dingy.

Too bad I thought the propane fuel idea was super.

JCD SAIL

I heard that the fuel system needs to be bled after purchase by the seller.

I heard that the fuel system needs to be bled after purchase by the seller.

Yeah, I heard that from Parks (HopCar) who is a dealer. He acknowledged that it has to be done when first gassed.

When I sell an outboard, I always start it and make any needed adjustments before I give it to the customer. I sold Johnson and Seagull outboards for many years and we always did that.

I looked closely at one they had at Defender in March. It looked well built. I think I would try one if I were in the market for a dink engine.

IF the dink is modest size , it is really easy to power with a DC trolling motor .Used is fine.

The huge advantage is the bride will not have to start an engine , just operate the throttle.

"Trapping" the bride aboard has been the termination of some cruisers dreams.

"Trapping" the bride aboard has been the termination of some cruisers dreams.

Trapping the bride aboard has been the beginning of some cruiser's dreams!!!

On our Memorial Day raft-up, my 27 year old 2 horse Mariner finally failed after three days of use. Got water intrusion into the head and seized up. As parts are no longer available I will have to find a replacement before our next raft-up in August. As weight is a factor, I'm lookin' at a 2.3 horse air-cooled Honda the lightest motor on the market for it's size.

On our Memorial Day raft-up, my 27 year old 2 horse Mariner finally failed after three days of use. Got water intrusion into the head and seized up. As parts are no longer available I will have to find a replacement before our next raft-up in August. As weight is a factor, I'm lookin' at a 2.3 horse air-cooled Honda the lightest motor on the market for it's size.

We were looking for an outboard in that HP range and were debating between the Honda and the Yamaha. The Honda weighed in at 27 pounds vs the Yamaha's 37 pounds but we leaned toward the Yamaha as it has a proper transmission and is much quieter, being water cooled.

I just realized the 2.5hp Lehr doesn't have reverse. That's a deal breaker for me.

:(

Beachbum, you need a five anyway!

Trapping the bride aboard has been the beginning of some cruiser's dreams!!!

Has anyone else noticed Baker has a little more 'kick in his step" since buying his Carver? It's good to see you back in form, Baker!

Has anyone else noticed Baker has a little more 'kick in his step" since buying his Carver?
Not only does he have more kick in his step....he's posting more than ever! :blush:

This boat is somewhat of an unknown to me so y'all are my security blanket!!!!...:)

There is a problem in getting the small propane bottles in other countries, and problem in finding parts. Also if traveling in Latin or south america, Yamaha's are the easiest motors to find parts find parts for.

IF you have a 20# tank there are fittings sold that allow a smaller tank to be refilled from the 20lb tank.

At the local camping or RV store.

IF you have a 20# tank there are fittings sold that allow a smaller tank to be refilled from the 20lb tank.

At the local camping or RV store.

Cool! I've heard of filling one propane tank from another, never thought of refilling the little bottles. Found the fitting at Harbor Freight, but I'm sure you can buy them other places too:

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!

There are a couple of tricks to refilling the small bottles. You need to turn the supply tank upside down so that liquid propane comes out and you need to chill the small bottle first or you won't get it full. It's a good idea to weigh the bottle after you fill it to be sure it isn't over filled. Don't forget the valves on those small bottles are designed to be disposable, they will start to leak after a few refills so you can't just keep using the same bottle forever.

The Lehr sales rep left a 9.9 demo motor at my store for me to play with. Unfortunately I don't have a boat to put it on. I'll run it in the test tank. She said I'd be impressed by how quiet it is. The 2.5 and 5 are not any quieter than a gasoline engine so I don't know why the 9.9 would be different. I'll report back when I've run it.

The Lehr sales rep left a 9.9 demo motor at my store for me to play with.

Dang, Parks. Nice timing. I just took my other dinghy up to Stuart on Thursday and now I'm back to do the big move over to Longboat Key. I'd have given you the dinghy for the test since my other one is already aboard Bucky. Don't really need it since I've got the Caribe 9 aboard Bucky already.

Back
Top Bottom