depth sounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I installed mine a "shoot thru the hull" Humminbird puck in wax. the wax is from a wax ring as used to seal a toilet onto a floor drain, available at any hardware store. I kneaded the wax well to soften it and remove air bubbles, put a blob of it against the hull and squished the puck into it. It worked well so I left it there that was about 4 years ago. it has worked fine since. This is a digital display model.
Pictured below with the floorboard lifted

A buddy with a sailboat with Raymarine pack had a sounder that stopped working properly. Raymarine said it was the black box unit, we installed a new one - no change. Borrowed a new transducer from our dealer, hung it over the side and problem solved. He said looks like a haul-out to replace it. I said the boys on TF said to stick it on the inside of the hull wthl wax from a toilet ring, we did it and it works great! So no rush haul-out required, will replace the thru hull transducer at the haul-out next year......THANKS for the GREAT idea!

I installed a transducer inside my lazerett back by the rudder. If we stern tie over a ledge or swing it anchor over shallower water, I wanted to know if we were getting close to bumping. The instructions mentioned that the transducer would not read thru cored fiberglass or aluminum.

It happens. Glad it was not me. Prideaux Haven Desolation Sound BC several years ago

Attachments

• J_BeattySternUp_00150041.jpg
    J_BeattySternUp_00150041.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 72
They do make transducers specifically designed to be installed inside the boat on the hull. The inside of the hull needs to be ground down and cleaned, the device collar is epoxied to the fiberglass, the transducer can then be installed and adjusted to point vertically down, the void area is the filled with a oil type material specified by the manufacture. Any good electronics store can get these, and they are not that expensive. They work as good as a through hull device. I installed one with my Ray marine depth finder 10 years ago and it works great up to about 400 feet. I also have a second one with a traditional through hull, this system works just as good, and sometimes better since it doesn't seem touch up any dirt or mud that may get churned up.

Presume a hull transponder won't work through a steel hull. That's why there is this minor, cylindrical appendage for the Coot's depth finder?

img_164489_0_744ebe14239c2ecadd0a529b543303c3.jpg

Mark...probably just a spacer to level it and plastic to isolate it from the steel...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom