View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Navigational Software Questions

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

1. In addition to your charts, what other information would you like to be able to access on the same screen?
2. While actively cruising outside your main home area, what information is most important to you?
*We don't use computer or laptop-based navigation systems for several reasons but your first two questions seem applicable to anyone regardless of what sort of navigation system they prefer to use.

1.*Features in addition to the raw*charts themselves----

- Information/descriptions about navaids, hazards, and prominent land features (towers, stacks, etc).*
- Up-to-date port information (contact info, fuel, food, laundry, etc.).*
- Names and contact information for boatyards and repair shops (diesel, electrical, etc.)*
- A feature in automotive GPS systems I like are contact*numbers and addresses*of the police, hospital, etc. facilities closest to your current position.
- ETA to next waypoint AND ETA to final destination on the display together.* Some systems probably have this, but some give ETA to the next waypoint but you have to go into a menu item to get ETA or total time to the destination.
-* The "noodle" to use an aviation term.* This is the projected course and distance line in front of the "my boat" symbol on the chart.* It shows where you will be in an interval you determine, either a time or a distance. at the speed*you are going at the*course you are on.* The stand-alone nav systems I've used have this--- I assume the software-based systems do, too, but*if they don't I*find it a valuable feature.
- If I used the navigation system for fishing, seeing an accurate,*"real view"*depiction of the bottom contours would be great.
- Photos of marinas and anchorages.
- Dock diagrams of marinas.
- A call-up chart listing all the VHF frequencies and their uses*(calling, VTS, commercial, etc.)
-* A call up chart listing/illustrating horn signals, nav light patterns, and day signal*shapes and their meanings.
-* A call up chart listing/illustrating the various navaid markings, colors, shapes, etc.
- Lighted navaid symbols on the chart that flash with the correct color and frequency of the actual navaid.* Our Furuno NavNet VX2 has this and it's come in handy on occasion.
-* Current strength and direction tied into the current time.* If*not everywhere on the chart, at least in those places where current direction and strength are important, like passes, narrows,*and channels.* Our Furuno (C-Map) has this feature.
- Tide charts.* Most decent nav systems seem to have this but it's a very useful item.

2.* Most important information outside of home area

-Boat's position relative to surroundings, navaids, hazards, depths,*etc.* Everything else is just "nice to have."

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 23rd of October 2009 05:37:48 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote