1986, 36 ft Mainship aft cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hi all – Early tomorrow I'm reviewing a 1986, 36 ft Mainship aft cabin... for possible purchase.

I’d appreciate suggestions on what specifics to look for, from boat owners who are acquainted with Maineship of that type and era; I’ve never been aboard a Mainship. – Tell me the good and/or the bad!

Thanks, Art

The two that my wife and I looked at when boat shopping both had multiple soft spots in the decks. Not sure if this is an issue with these boats or was just due to poor upkeep/maintenance. Many good features but didn't ring our bell.

The two that my wife and I looked at when boat shopping both had multiple soft spots in the decks. Not sure if this is an issue with these boats or was just due to poor upkeep/maintenance. Many good features but didn't ring our bell.

Thanks, Allan. I'm taking moisture meter and small hammer for rapport soundings on deck, stringer and other locations. This boat has fiberglass decks with no teak overlay. Did the decks you found soft have teak overlay... or simply cracks in deck? This Mainship was neglected and has been on the hard for a few years. She may already be toast! Shall see, plan to give brief report.

Thanks, Allan. I'm taking moisture meter and small hammer for rapport soundings on deck, stringer and other locations. This boat has fiberglass decks with no teak overlay. Did the decks you found soft have teak overlay... or simply cracks in deck? This Mainship was neglected and has been on the hard for a few years. She may already be toast! Shall see, plan to give brief report.

They were fiberglass decks which is what surprised us, I wouldn't have even looked at them if they were teak, not into that.

They were fiberglass decks which is what surprised us, I wouldn't have even looked at them if they were teak, not into that.

I head out (hopefully with 12 yr grandson helper) in two hrs for prelim survey. Should be fun! She's on the hard so I'll check bottom and u/w gear first, then hull and transom, then exterior superstructure, then decks. Should know by then if she's worth entering for added review.

Interesting that you experienced soft areas on Mainship boat with fiberglass decks that had no teak overlay. Means to me the boat you reviewed must have had deck seepage (cracks in gelcoat? / stanchion base fastener leaks?? / leaks around hatch or???) and, a balsa wood or cheep plywood core. :confused:

I'll let you know outcome to this adventure! :thumb:

Sorry Art, I can't let you do it. Going from a Tolly to a Mainship is sacrilegious.

Sorry Art, I can't let you do it. Going from a Tolly to a Mainship is sacrilegious.

LOL - Ted!

Have NO Fear! Our 77 Tolly 34' TC is firmly part of our family, she's not for sale! I bought it for my Admiral's birthday years ago... :thumb:

We plan five days on her this 4th O' July... We love our Tolly :smitten: :smitten:

This post is only tangentially related to this thread

I was at the Mainship plant in St. Augustine yesterday. It’s located right behind the rear parking lot of my eye surgeon.

Melissa and I sat there for five minutes in the car looking at all those hull and deck molds just sitting there uncovered in the FL sun.

Sad sad sight.

Having spent a good portion of my working years in the GRP molding industry, I can say that those molds may never be useable again.

I know there are new owners, and I wish them the best.

Mike

I was at the Mainship plant in St. Augustine yesterday. It’s located right behind the rear parking lot of my eye surgeon.

Melissa and I sat there for five minutes in the car looking at all those hull and deck molds just sitting there uncovered in the FL sun.

Sad sad sight.

Having spent a good portion of my working years in the GRP molding industry, I can say that those molds may never be useable again.

I know there are new owners, and I wish them the best.

Mike

Where is it located at in St Augustine?

Next time up there I'd like to take a look.

I have a 1986 Mainship Aft Cabin. They refer to it as DC for "Dual cabin".
Sorry I cant be much help though because I have no powerboat experience to compare it to. Coming from sailboats, the Mainship seems like it has toy parts. The hatches and ports are what I consider extremely light duty. We do enjoy the boat and Mainships have been around for a while.
There is a Mainship group on Yahoo Groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mainship/messages?o=1

Check out the group.

I have a 1986 Mainship Aft Cabin. They refer to it as DC for "Dual cabin".
Sorry I cant be much help though because I have no powerboat experience to compare it to. Coming from sailboats, the Mainship seems like it has toy parts. The hatches and ports are what I consider extremely light duty. We do enjoy the boat and Mainships have been around for a while.
There is a Mainship group on Yahoo Groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mainship/messages?o=1

Check out the group.

Much thanks to all who posted. :thumb:

I looked at this private showing 36' Mainship pretty carefully. Not really in too bad condition, considering she's been on the hard nearly 4 years. She needs to be completely re-comissioned. :eek:

Relatively small rot location on each side under rear area of side salon windows and rot 2' long on stbd gunnel about mid ship. Port gunnel in same area had been well repaired years before. All decks, bottom, sides, transom, and stringers appear to be in sound condition. :ermm:

I and grandson decided that its layout was not to our preference and with $29K asking price there was no sense of stating its value to us (basically none - as we simply do not want to take it on, at all!). :nonono:

Soooo... we traveled another 70 miles and reviewed 36' Silverton and 33' Chris Craft sedans I've been keeping my eye on by being in phone contact with the agent. They're in water at broker's dock and each shows well. I'll be speaking with Admiral tonight... might decide to make a bid on one or the other and do sea trial if bid is accepted. Both have their individual high points and their down falls. Still looking carefully for the correct Sport Fish Sedan to accomplish my needs for SF Bay "Toy Boat" ;)

Happy Boating Dazs! - Art :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom