Need ID for Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyclone

Vessel Name
Therapi
Vessel Make
1998 Bayliner 4087
Greetings; Need to ID the windlass shown in the photos. It is installed on a 1987 CC Catalina. When it works it seems to only go one way, up. Currently it needs TLC to do that. Can anyone ID this unit. Bill Gallant Lady before survey and after 057.jpg

Gallant Lady before survey and after 063.jpg

Take the windless/motor to a local electric motor repair shop. We have motors date back to 1930, 40 ,50.

It looks like a sail winch than a windless?

I agree that it looks like something designed to sail rather than anchor, but it does show wear so perhaps it will lift the anchor. Bill

Why do you guys say that? It has a chain gypsy on it. And chain to go with it! Definitely an anchor windlass. Only thing kind of unusual is the vertical motor.

Agree taking it to a motor shop might be a good idea (determine whether the motor is reversible), but if it doesn't power down there likely is an electrical issue with switching/solenoids rather than with the windlass itself

Last edited:
I agree, take it to a motor shop in your area. See if they can repair it.

If not, it would be pretty easy to replace it with a brand new windlass of most any brand.

Assuming this boat is 12 volts those electric cables sure look small. I guess the larger cables would be close by attached to the relay box or solenoid. If it doesn't run both ways now you could change that pretty easily.

Before you tear it all apart you should check all your relays, foot switches and other parts first. Nothing like going to all the trouble to R&R and still have the same problem.

If you do tear it down you may want to reseal it to the deck. Can't tell from the pics if it is general corrosion from the humid anchor locker or leakage from the deck. If it is getting water from the deck it won't last long when you reinstall it.

"Only thing kind of unusual is the vertical motor."

I believe its a Capstan not a windlass with a vertical motor.

BUT the vertical drum is a far better, more useful shipboard companion than a horizontal drum as it can be used , with out complications , at warping the boat in a slip or other , not dead ahead pulling requirements.

Greetings to all. Insight and info is well received, but I would still like to know who made the device. Another issue, related, is why would they mount it so that there is no direct pull for the chain. It is mounted about six inches off centre and no-where near the haws pipe to the rope locker. Bill.

Greetings to all. Insight and info is well received, but I would still like to know who made the device. ......

You are the only one able to actually inspect it. The rest of us have only a photo and can only guess.

I suggest looking for a label or a manufacturer's code. Find a code on it and perhaps it can be identified.

Chain hanging in a chain locker is heavy so the chain will drag across the deck to stow itself in the locker if lined up properly.

Usually 180 deg of chain- capstan wrap works well enough.

Thanks, find, I hope, another picture showing the complete anchor pulpit. Given that there is no fall over about 18 to 20 inches, I doubt the chain will make that walk. On the other hand I have been unable to make the device work beyond a very slow bearly turning speed. Yes the motor will be removed and repaired, but only for this seasons use. Then the fix a new maxwell HRC #8 which has been patiently waiting to be installed even though it will require some major revampint of the anchor pulpit. PS photo is in a seperate msg. Sorry about it being upside down, but then again it is a CC upon which it is installed. Bill.

Last edited:
Reference my last. The photo, I hope. Bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 158
From the original pic I suspect it is something someone cobbled or married together, rather than an original branded item. I seem to remember from another thread someone putting a Muir(a good local brand) motor in a Lofrans, so interchangeability is possible.
Being upside down here, the last pic was no trouble.:)

A chain stopper seems to be absent and would elevate the chain as it is retreived.

The chain stopper needs to be mounted to take the full load of the anchored boat in a breeze.

Greetings. Finally got the electric motor off and it is a KLACTON other data not readable, made in UK. Does this tell anyone anything re manufacturer. Bill

I would look carefully and see if an adaption can be made to a USA motor.

Like Ideal, my preference is for a Chevy starter motor , dirt cheap , most anywhere in the world.

From the shape and notches on the chain gypsy, and the shape of the gearbox, it looks like a Simpson-Lawrence Volans 'GD' or Dorado 'GD' vertical anchor windlass. If that is what it turns out to be, it uses a reversing relay to change the motor direction. It can be installed in either a one-way or two-way configuration, depending on the relay, switches and wiring configuration. You might find spare parts at SL Spares in the UK.

Larry
m/v Boomarang

Greetings: Removed the windlass with great difficulty. It was embedded in caulk, all 25 years old and quite a mess. However found the mfg and Simpson Lawrence. Next hurdle will be to get reply from same providing manual. In the meantime my wrench and I have taken it apart and it looks OK, but time will tell. All gears are now moving in both directions. Should anyone have any data it would be welcome. Bill.

Yesterday I sent a mail to a S-L site in UK asking for help. Help arrived this AM. Windlass is a Volans or Dorado model. I now have complete maintenance instructions in PDF form. Anyone wanting same please contact me at majorwf@hurontel.on.ca. Bill

A post by Northern Spy identifying an anchor on another thread, says Simpson Lawrence became Lewmar. Hope that helps.

A post by Northern Spy identifying an anchor on another thread, says Simpson Lawrence became Lewmar. Hope that helps.

That's true, Bruce, and I also replaced an old Simpson Lawrence with a new Lewmar Sport-Fisher that was simply a badge-engineered copy of the old SL. It fit easily in the same mounting holes and everything. I mean, why couldn't they just tell you that so instead of having to measure and wonder if it's the same thing.

By the way, Larry M.....it looks like you nailed it ID right off the bat. Just wanted to let you know that we can see when someone nails it, even if there's no acknowledgment.

Attachments

• DSCN4074.jpg
    DSCN4074.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 195

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom