View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
portager

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktenhet View Post
Thank for all the great advice. I will check in to all the info. We were planning on going to the San Diego boat show this weekend but I just spoke with one of the shows organizers and there will only be 5-7 trawler there. So we wont be making the 5 1/2 hour drive to get there.

I see there is a Trawler Fest in Florida in the Winter, and this is our slower time at work. Has anyone been to this one? Is it worth getting on a plane etc. Or should we just wait till next May for WA. We can only make one of them. Time and Money is all relevant.
I've been to Trawler Fests in Florida, San Diego and Anacortes and they are all different. The boats at each show vary quite a bit and are more suited to the local cruising area. Just like the ideal boat for Alaska is different than the best boat for the delta and the optimum boat for the great loop. You can get a boat that is a good compromise for all three, but that is a much more complex set of variables to consider.

Getting from the Delta to Alaska and from Alaska to the great loop requires some special capabilities and/or a great deal of patients. You might be better off purchasing a boat from the delta and Alaska portion and then selling it and buying a boat for the great loop on the East coast.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote