What a shame...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GalaxyGirl

My mom found this awesome boat last night. It's wood, (but that's for another discussion). Otherwise, it really is a fantastic boat and I was really excited. My adrenaline was going and I was ready to jump on a plane. When I suddenly realized, after my 3rd flip through photos that it seems the staterooms and heads have no windows. Why on earth would someone build a boat with no bedroom windows? Is it because the boat was a converted fishing trawler? or is because the boat was built for rough sea?
Is that unsafe. Seems dungeon-like. How would you see that the boat is sinking from down below?
Can porthole windows be added or is that a big affair? The boat is great, but I just don't think I could sleep in a room without windows.

While I agree with the concern about safety, I do not think most portholes are a realistic form of egress.

My mom found this awesome boat last night. It's wood, (but that's for another discussion). Otherwise, it really is a fantastic boat and I was really excited. My adrenaline was going and I was ready to jump on a plane. When I suddenly realized, after my 3rd flip through photos that it seems the staterooms and heads have no windows. Why on earth would someone build a boat with no bedroom windows? Is it because the boat was a converted fishing trawler? or is because the boat was built for rough sea?
Is that unsafe. Seems dungeon-like. How would you see that the boat is sinking from down below?
Can porthole windows be added or is that a big affair? The boat is great, but I just don't think I could sleep in a room without windows.

Do you have a site? You do not wnat to buy a boat that is a conveted commercial and/or a wood boat. There are very few yards that will take/lift them and insureance is hard to get.

Windows/port holes are not need to feel/.know the boat is sinking. Most boats have bilge pumps with alarms and you should be able to feel/see the trim of the boat is different, door hang open, sink/toilet water etc. Also most portholes are small, especially down low in the hull. Take a look at the my avatar. We have our port holes covered with curtains. Small port holes can be added if they are in between the stringers/structure.

Do you have a site? You do not wnat to buy a boat that is a conveted commercial and/or a wood boat. There are very few yards that will take/lift them and insureance is hard to get.

Windows/port holes are not need to feel/.know the boat is sinking. Most boats have bilge pumps with alarms and you should be able to feel/see the trim of the boat is different, door hang open, sink/toilet water etc. Also most portholes are small, especially down low in the hull. Take a look at the my avatar. We have our port holes covered with curtains. Small port holes can be added if they are in between the stringers/structure.

I'm afraid to post a link, as much as I really love the feedback. Seems like every time I post a boat, it sells a couple weeks later. Dumb luck I guess.

A friend's Lagoon 44 has 2ftx2ft underwater "windows" in two of the cabins. They also act as escape hatches if the cat turtles.
The cost of retrofitting anything like that would be extremely high though.

On a more serious note, have you seen these 2 vessels that are near enough for you to simply drive over and take a look??

1. 80ft Hatteras (1985) located Portsmouth, NH $650K

2. 70ft Broward (1980) located Boston $400K

Both have 3 state rooms and are probably ocean crossing capable.
At the very least here is a chance to begin the education process with local options. I would guess that even the least interested broker will eventually return your call if you persist. Might go look before you call or just show up at their office.

Please post my boat. I would love to sell it within 2 weeks!!
Selene 47 "Auriga" for sale

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to admit...I laughed out loud on that one!!!

While I am a huge fan of lotsa windows and natural light, I do not think it is all that important in the sleeping areas. In fact, I would say it is an advantage as it stays dark. Sleeping on a boat can be wonderful and a dark cabin can contribute. If you want natural light, get up and go somewhere on the boat that has it...ie salon.

But I am averse to wood boats.

Back
Top Bottom