Old 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
That is one of the most beautiful boats I have ever seen, if it wasn't wood I would buy it in a heartbeat. The equipment on it alone is worth more than the asking price. Sadly however, this is not a wood boat built with the latest in materials and construction techniques, it is an old plywood hull that has been glassed to the waterline to keep it afloat. As a "survivor" of the wood boat era I can tell you it doesn't work long. Many tried it in the 60's and at best it bought a few years but putting glass over wood that is not absolutely sealed can't help but end in disaster. There is simply no way to keep water from getting into the ply on the inside and there it lies trapped between the glass and ply, the resulting rot is unstoppable. Unfortunately whoever buys this masterpiece is in for a world of grief and or expense.
From the listing..."Construction
Commercially Constructed by the Gillikins of Harkers Island. Mystic is built similar to most of the time tested high end North Carolina Sport Fishing Boats; she is a Wood/Glass Composite. The Hull is Striped Planked 1 X 7" Juniper with 3/8" glass under the waterline. "

Which is typical of many Carolina high end sportfish. Don't take too many TF posts seriously.

While I have seen bad examples of this construction...there are plenty of jewels made the Harkers Island way.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote