Borg-Warner Velvet Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

driller66

Well here I sit on my new/old boat and I'm working through my firsgt major mechanical issue. The BW Velvet drive let go just as I was pulling into the slip. Shifted from neutral to reverse to slow her down and ..... nothing, no forward no reverse. Went through the usual diagnostics(checked the fluid disconnected the control cable and hand shifted) still nothing. Pulled the trans off the shaft and engine and the thrust plate was in pieces in the bell housing. Turn the input shaft by hand and shift the trans and she doesn't do what she should (IE turn on forward or reverse) QUESTION: anybody out there ever done one of these? I hear they're pretty simple and I'm a fair wrench, any resources to recommend? I hope everyone is in smooth sailing and I really appreciate all the input I've received from the folks on this Forum. I still LOVE Irandar she was worth every penny:smitten:

Trans is OK

The thrust plate is your problem. The input shaft drives a pump the sends oil directed by the control valve to "compress" the forward or reverse clutch discs in the pack. Not running, you won't have any pressure from the pump.

R&D makes a decent damper drive plate.It has a fail safe design.No springs to rust or rattle.

Call Mike at Harbor Marine in Everett Wash.

Your damper plate is likely your only problem. I have gone through a couple of Velvet Drives and indeed they are not that difficult but without a test stand (dyno), I would leave the transmission alone.

I strongly second iceberg's opinion about using the R&D damper plate, not only does it have no springs to rattle but it has a "get home" feature which is a MUST.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom