View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Twin disc Trolling valve

Russ---

You need to troll very slowly if you're fishing for kings (chinook).* A couple of knots at most.* You will also have far better luck with kings if you fish with downriggers, which means you need a place to mount them that will keep their cables out of the props and rudders of your boat.

You don't have to troll so slow if you fish for silvers, and since they tend to work closer to the surface than kings, you can get away without downriggers although it's still better to have them.* There are some people who fish for silvers in BC using a large fly trolled very fast on the surface.

You don't need to troll at all if you want to fish for halibut. My wife and I have done a lot of halibut fishing up the north end of Vancouver Island. It's bottom fishing in depths between 120 and 350 feet. You use a one to two (or more) pound lead ball on the end of non-stretching Dacron line and bounce the bait along the bottom. The only time we use a motor for this is if we are trying to fish in a current that's too fast to keep the bait on the bottom at which point we use the trolling motor to hold station.

We do not use the GB for this because where we fish we are working pretty close to rocks and reefs and the GB would simply be to awkward to deal with in this situation. To say nothing of the fact that the diesels would be at dead idle most of the day because halibut fishing is in essence drift fishing.* We use a 17' Arima we bought for this purpose* (see photos). We also use the Arima for salmon trolling.* I think a boat like an Arima, Grady-White, Trophy, SeaSport, etc. make better platforms for salmon, halibut, and ling cod fishing on the inside waters of Puget Sound and lower BC than a recreational trawler.*

I'm not saying if all you have is a recreational trawler you can't fish--- you can fish if all you have is a big log to sit on.* But compared to a smaller, faster, lower boat like the Arima, fishing from our GB would be pretty frustrating and a lot more work.

A trolling valve will definitely help as far as trolling for salmon goes, as Carey describes above.* I have corresponded with some people who use a trolling valve in conjunction with dragging a large bucket or some other device to slow the boat even more.* I can only assume that the boats these folks have are able to be run at low rpms for long periods of time with the engines at sufficient temperature to avoid the risk of loading up the injectors or fouling the valves and cylinders.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 18th of October 2009 11:58:13 PM
Attached Images

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote