Cat Diesel 3160 Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeCoral

hello , Im new to this forum , but not new to forums and boating. I recently purchased a project Briston 38 Trawler. At some point the previous owner has removed the heads and associated hardware in an effort I'm guessing to repair it. It is a single engine 3160 and appears to be all there, in pieces. I do have experience in engine repairs as I am a retired import car tech, and do know my way around engines. My experience however is limited to smaller gas engines and I will be seeking help and advice from others who have done this already. I would like any info that can be helpfull , such as a good parts supplier or would love to speak with someone who has one of these engines. I do know that one head (which by the way, weighs a ton,,lol) has what looks like a bent intake valve, as it is not fully seated , and is approx 3 mm open with the rockers removed. I was told that it is entirely possible that an injector failure could cause this,
I will supply pictures of course as soon as this site allows me to post them, as I have not been successful in doing so, and the site shuts me out when I try. Ok, thanks in advance and I hope to be sharing info soon.
Regards
Bill D

569_zps622c9487.jpg
[/IMG]
569_zps622c9487.jpg
[/IMG]

No big deal , an engine is an engine , tho you noticed some parts are HEAVY.

CAT injectors can be rebuilt for $60 -$75 or so each.

Only purchase you might need is for a quality torque wrench of the proper size.

First purchase should be "Da Book" the engine service and rebuilding manual, perhaps $100 from CAT.

If the valve damaged the seat , any truck machine shop will install a new seat.

New valve springs are always nice insurance.

thanks FF, there is no problem with tools as I have most everything I would need, the injector pump has not been removed and I have no reason to think there was an issue with the injector pump. As far as the injectors are concerned , they seem very basic, this is not an electric injector. so I really should have them at the very least checked. The valve seat is not damaged. The valve is still in the head and it is in good shape , besides the fact its bent. so I dont beleive there was any damage to the seat or the head. To be honest I really dont know why they removed both heads, must have been a novice or maybe they were going to rebuild both heads. Everything else is in excellent shape. The interesting thing is the Hobbs meter shows ony 475 hours on the engine, now is that correct,? who knows, but the neighbors say the gentlemen that used to own the boat hardly ever used it, mostly a couple times a year etc, so it may be accurate.

Last edited:
Could the head be cracked? I would get it magnifluxed.

Water will bend valves. So check your manifolds, etc.

I've rebuilt many Cat engines in equipment but I'am not familiar with the 3160 series, mainly I worked on the 3200, 3300 , 3400 series & the old slow turning 4 & 6 cyl units. The newer engines require many special tools to service, some even can be diagnosed with a laptop, Cat dealers that I dealt with would loan some special tools if needed. Order a service manual & parts book from your local Cat dealer, you may need the serial # & arrangement # to get the correct ones. Good luck

The 3160 was the daddy to the 3208.

It was replaced as it was a superb rebuildable engine (slieves for inframe) that was too expensive to make for its market.
Skool buses are replaces 10c on the dollar so few get repaired , just replaced.
Same with smaller trucks , they get scrapped on time not rebuilt.

The 3208 is basically the same motor made in a throwaway version. cheaper to produce and more suitable for the limited life market its used in.

" the injector pump has not been removed and I have no reason to think there was an issue with the injector pump."

Re installing an injector pump is or either version is childs play .
The clamps are loosened a drill bit used as location pin , tighten mount.

GET DA BOOK!

These engines are not powerful , rated 210hp at 2800 , they are more suitable for a multi speed transmission than a long sklog at rated power.

Keep it under 2100 or lower and the non turbo version will run "forever" .

Forever means till its destroyed by lack of PM , water in the exhaust , overheating.

Cruise 1800 at modest , say 125 hp- 5 -6 GPH , and enjoy

Last edited:
Water in cylinder and it won't compress. Bends valve.

Hmmmm, OK. Cylinder full of water, valve open water squirts out, right?

Valve closed ... water presses evenly on valve and seals it tighter ... where is force to bend valve?

Where is the valve bent? Are there any tell-tale marks on the piston? Are the pushrods straight? Are the rods bent?

To the OP, just for grins take a plastic headed mallet and tap the end of the "bent" valve where the rocker arm pushes on it. Lube the valve stem on both sides and tap the valve face and the tappet end a few times to see if it comes free.

IF its a problem , let me know , I have a motorhome takeout with 150,000 miles , the usual conversion of 50 miles is an hour would make it a 3000 hr engine.

Located in Arcadia Fl , a grand buys it , and delivery is possible.

Just bolt on the marinizing goodies ,,,

FF

IF its a problem , let me know , I have a motorhome takeout with 150,000 miles , the usual conversion of 50 miles is an hour would make it a 3000 hr engine.

Located in Arcadia Fl , a grand buys it , and delivery is possible.

Just bolt on the marinizing goodies ,,,

FF

That might be the best offer the guy gets all week ... certainly the best so far.

update, sorry I have not been on for a while, but was having problems with this site
I have more information on the engine
The engine was taken apart by a friend of the previous owner, because of a "soft seize" what this means is that the boat sat for years without turning it over and when they did try to turn it over it obviously was stuck
so they took it apart. Bad move in my opionion, the valve that I thought was bent , is not, it was just slightly stuck in the guide, and I literally tapped it with a wrench and it closed up tight. I already freshened up the heads and they are ready for installation. The lower end is in great shape, and I free'd up the rings, by soaking and soaking them with penetrating oils, now the crank spins freely and appears to be in excellent shape. Basically it needs two heads installed, and it should fire right up
I will update

... the valve that I thought was bent , is not, it was just slightly stuck in the guide, and I literally tapped it with a wrench and it closed up tight.

Gee, imagine that ... :rolleyes:

(Post #14)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom