View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
CPseudonym
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We are an hour away from the boat. I work 5 days a week most of the year and 4 days a week in the summer months. Sometimes I take a day off work and go out like I did Wednesday. Some days we go for a day trip like last Saturday. Sundays are church days with some exceptions.

My kids have somewhat active social lives like most but we made a decision 15 years ago that they choose 1 activity at a time. None of this driving all over the place 5-7 days a week for kid activities for us. We tend to take family time seriously and pick activities we can all participate in.

The decision to own a boat was merely an extension of that attitude for us. Before this there was copious amounts of camping, hiking, beach trips, off road vehicles etc... Finding ways to enjoy these activities debt free has really been key for our strategy. Debt always has a way of dividing our loyalties between work and family time far more than most are willing to admit. When we had debt and I had a choice between working long hours or hanging out with the family I'm now sorry to say work won out every time. Now that debt is a distant memory in our lives, family time will not be traded for any amount of money.

Decide what's important and focus your efforts is our course of action.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote