Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,

"high rpm Japanese engine"?

What's it's skin color Mark? It is what it is .... a 2500rpm engine. I'm just saying it's not a good idea to have the governor speed below the rated rpm. You can't prop the engine or determine it's correct loading. The purpose of the governor is to insure you don't get much over your rated rpm to protect the engine from over speeding. You could be over propped or under propped. How would you know?

I just went back and read your posts. I thought you were cruising at 2200. I see it's 1800. What is your max rpm in neutral gear? What is your max rpm in fwd gear?

Re Rick's comment "bear further explanation."

Of course I know you know all the power loading stuff so I assume you think I have not made myself clear or have made a mistake. Or from your words have left something out ... just omitted an important point. The important point I hoped to have made is that if Mark's max rpm is 2400 he may not know if it's the prop size that's limiting the engine speed or the governor. I think one needs to know that.

Been through this 100 times in the past and still there seems to be many that don't understand the loading issue. Many don't care and just wish I'd shut up but I'm sure there are many more that are trying to learn and understand.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote