Redesigning the seating on the upper deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tangler

Vessel Name
Between boats
Vessel Make
38' C & L Puget Trawler
We have removed the teak deck uptop and are about to put fibre glass and gelcoat on the deck. We are considering redesigning the seating configuration while the deck is bare. Originally there was the conventional seating you see in Taiwan Trawlers (two double bench seats). Has anyone got any ideas or done this, know where to get used/new seats on the West Coast?

We have been looking at Wise Pontoon seating because of the space on the upper deck.

I've been looking at new FB seating positions on my smaller FB. You would have better options with your europa. Got some FB pics?

I like the individual Capt and 1st mate seats side by side. On my boat that would be center and stbd. I then plan to go with an L shaped settee along the port and aft sides. This would allow room for a table mount for the corner of the settee. I like the idea of under seat storage in lieu of cooler space/seats. The first pic is my favorite, but I'd go with top/stand-up access instead of front/get-down-on-your-knees access.

Here are some examples I saved for ideas.

Attachments

• FB Setee.jpg
    FB Setee.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 224
  • FB Setee2.jpg
    FB Setee2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 211
  • FB Setee3.jpg
    FB Setee3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 223
  • FB Setee4.jpg
    FB Setee4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Flybridge seating1.jpg
    Flybridge seating1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I got rid of everything except the mast. Put 2 panels on either side of the flybridge fairing that hold fishing rods. I have 2 regular white folding deck chairs and 2 folding "air" chairs for lounging/sunning. I do miss some storage but will add a small dock box aft along with a standard small household freezer I will cut down the edges to meet flush with the hand rails.

got Mrs Captain all excited over this idea and we have been looking at pontoon party boat seats...they come in different configurations all with storage inside and I think will all fit up there. - just picture a party pootoon ringed with plush vinyl seating and a table in the middle...except minus the boat and then mounted upstairs in my trawler...cost about $2000 - also tried to add a pic of my fb prior to our destructive rant...there is nothing there now...no seats, table teak floor...barren and bleak..hope you can access the pic as i have not tried to attach one to a thread before

Attachments

• summer2012 024.jpg
    summer2012 024.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 213
hey...that worked pretty good

Our bridge of our PT 38 sedan.

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 273
the seats are very like the last pic from Flywright but in any configuration and a variety of color choices

that looks great Rochepoint. even the teak...its not that we did not like it but it was leaking and had been refinished many times and was thin..you know what BC is like...you can grow moss on a bowling ball. Anyway we still have plenty of teak decks down ans teak trim till the cows come home...I dont think we will miss it

I too have been looking at the pontoon boat seats to replace the ones that burned in fire. What concerns me is that they are designed for flat decks. my fly bridge deck is crowned in all directions. the original seats had wood wedges under them to compensate, but they were built really stout to handle this. I am not convinced that the pontoon boat seats would tolerate this. Has any one tried it?

You have a great opporunity to really re-invent your flybridge space. Take a look at what new boats are doing on the websites of Flemming, Grand Banks, Marlow: lots of ideas there. Don't forget to allow for a table if your climate permits occassional lunches up top...and a fridge to supplement whatever you have in the galley...and a bbq...and....

I look at it as a chance for re-design also and Perigrinator, I think the bottoms could easily be mounted on accomodating wedges or? also. I have not gone to see any yet but will soon.

Finished rehab

I finished the job 2 years ago...sorry for the delay...what do you think?

Attachments

• CCC76CCB-A1A2-47DB-88B7-80BE00EC969C.jpg
    CCC76CCB-A1A2-47DB-88B7-80BE00EC969C.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 64
  • E2B05818-2832-41DA-8F08-F93224A890BC.jpg
    E2B05818-2832-41DA-8F08-F93224A890BC.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 39403ED6-B57B-47EC-97EB-189A79760E88.jpg
    39403ED6-B57B-47EC-97EB-189A79760E88.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 59
I finished the job 2 years ago...sorry for the delay...what do you think?

Looks like you boat pontoon furniture. That stuff is really great for applications like this. Lots of configurations, no wood in most of the brands. Deliverd right to your door. Pretty hard to beat. Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom