Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a "break" in the bloody awful weather today. Didn't last long but was long enough for me to fit the 2.5" 316 Stainless steel exhaust pipe and 4" mixer.

I fitted the retrofitted gear selector on the Paragon Transmission. It was leaking just around the gear selector cylinder so i rebuilt it and reinstalled it. Works great now ... No leaks!!!

I was also able to muck around and fit my new "you beaut … kick arse" Bosch alternator.

I had to fabricate the arm thing but its all aligned nicely and runs well. I get plenty of movement to take off or to tighten belts. I have just have to paint the alternator arm and touch up where the mounting bracket was moved as well as buy a new starter motor then I can sign off on that part of the build as completed ... wooh hooooo!!!!

One thing I did noticed today was that the perko is blowing a bit of smoke at idle. Is that normal?

The smoke was stinging my eyes almost like I was cutting onions. I haven't run the motor for around 4-5 weeks but the fuel is the same as i used last time i started her and the motor is obviously new so am concerned… and not ever having owned a diesel … am confused.

from my experience, an engine blowing smoke is usually f#$ked! … but … that's to do with engines of the petrol variety!

It might be that it always did that or is supposed to do that. could be that here was no wind around when the other times I started her the wind was howling but it just seems weird that since the exhaust pipe went on all of a sudden theres smoke everywhere. When i rev it the smoke goes away but when I back of the throttle smoke puffs out. Took me a bit to bleed the system to get her running so maybe that's got something to do with it so yeah just curious.

I took a video of it and will post to help with the diagnosis.

Took the prop in the get looked at during the week and they rung me today. Its going to cost me $600 to get it to class 1 spec and polished.

The MRI Scan print out showed that the prop was in a very very bad way. Way out of balance, it wasn't at its correct pitch. In fact, none of the blades were the same pitch at all, but i suspect that may have been me when i belted it with a rubber mallet to get it off the shaft, another lesson learned.

Needless to say tho, but it would have vibrated horribly, not to mention the abuse I subjected it to by smacking it around and then getting it sandblasted, which they really shun me for i may add, but again, its a learning curve that I won't ever do again.

Thats Enough of me blabbing on for today.

Cheers
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Attachments

• image-650365132.jpg
    image-650365132.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2026556535.jpg
    image-2026556535.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1447607774.jpg
    image-1447607774.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-857175951.jpg
    image-857175951.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2903999905.jpg
    image-2903999905.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1579300943.jpg
    image-1579300943.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1297999732.jpg
    image-1297999732.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 97
  • image-590733789.jpg
    image-590733789.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Blue is not one of my favourite colours, but that engine looks simply mooorvelous...

Heres the Vid i took today. is this normal?

Doesn't look unusual for an engine that has just been rebuilt and has zero time to seat the rings or (hopefully) get up to operating temperature.

Speaking of which, how long did you run that thing with no coolant circulation?

Doesn't look unusual for an engine that has just been rebuilt and has zero time to seat the rings or (hopefully) get up to operating temperature.

Speaking of which, how long did you run that thing with no coolant circulation?

Hey Rick! was hoping you'd chime in on my question. Didn't want to bother ya with a PM.

Ok cool. Phew! Glad to know :-D

Re: running time; however long the video ran for was it. Actually a couple of seconds after the video ended. A mate told me not to idle it as they glaze over ???? Dunno if that's true but I've coated it all in inox and wrapped it up with plastic until AXE gets flipped and I can install it.

All up the motor has run for 12 minutes upto 2000 rpm since being built.

Do I need to run it in like a new petrol engine? Couple of hrs at 800, couple of hours at 1200, change oil, couple of hour at 1600 bla bla bla?

Last edited:
Do I need to run it in like a new petrol engine?

I'm not even going to get into that one ... :)

Always defer to the manufacturer's recommendations.

And don't run it again without coolant in it!

Hey Matt - Great picts...

Your alternator looks like it could eat alligators :hide:! - LOL :thumb:

FGS, Listen to Rick... get coolant in that baby!

You're like a kid in a candy store now that you have your Perko rebuilt and looking brand new... just remember not to eat the chocolate (run your engine) before the time is right! Seems to me that some exhaust smoke on a completely rebuilt engine with only 12 minutes intermittent run time to her NEW life is to be expected and no problem... especially as she's never even been to full opperating temp - at least I hope she hasen't, with NO coolant. Just sayen! :whistling:

Hey Matt - Great picts...

Your alternator looks like it could eat alligators :hide:! - LOL :thumb:

FGS, Listen to Rick... get coolant in that baby!

You're like a kid in a candy store now that you have your Perko rebuilt and looking brand new... just remember not to eat the chocolate (run your engine) before the time is right! Seems to me that some exhaust smoke on a completely rebuilt engine with only 12 minutes intermittent run time to her NEW life is to be expected and no problem... especially as she's never even been to full opperating temp - at least I hope she hasen't, with NO coolant. Just sayen! :whistling:

:-D

Prop Class 1. balanced and polished.

Attachments

• image-1425698332.jpg
    image-1425698332.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3562071811.jpg
    image-3562071811.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1999529980.jpg
    image-1999529980.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3001182440.jpg
    image-3001182440.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 98
Had this girl rock up at work today for refuelling.

Her name is HMAS SIRIUS.

Attachments

• image-2298779275.jpg
    image-2298779275.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2915792299.jpg
    image-2915792299.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1754913609.jpg
    image-1754913609.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image-4034889903.jpg
    image-4034889903.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2907208749.jpg
    image-2907208749.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image-961061209.jpg
    image-961061209.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 90
Not a lot being done on AXE lately due to rain. I have however managed to get a couple of hours in and went and epoxied her dry bits and moved the tarp fwd to cover to front so that will dry out.

It was really cold which was great for the epoxy because it made its viscosity very thick and went on really thick. I ended up mixing 18ltrs per side.

Other than that, that's all I can report atm

Attachments

• image-4233174470.jpg
    image-4233174470.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Not a lot being done on AXE lately due to rain. I have however managed to get a couple of hours in and went and epoxied her dry bits and moved the tarp fwd to cover to front so that will dry out.

It was really cold which was great for the epoxy because it made its viscosity very thick and went on really thick. I ended up mixing 18ltrs per side.

Other than that, that's all I can report atm

Now... she has shiny prop and, her BOTTOM too - OOOOHHH LA LA!!

Good to hear from ya, hope all is well. Rain will stop... AXE will live!

Cheers! - Art :D

hello hendo, my name is tom. i grew up in INALA [we would have taken your whole car] and i lived and worked in tenterfield along the bruxner highway.it has amazed me what you have done and are doing! goodonya

hello hendo, my name is tom. i grew up in INALA [we would have taken your whole car] and i lived and worked in tenterfield along the bruxner highway.it has amazed me what you have done and are doing! goodonya

Hello Tom!
How are you mate? Great to hear from you.

Hahahaha Inala

hahahaha sh!t ... I used to live in Forest Lake! Hahaha

My ex wife lives in Forest Lake (in the house i lost to her and her solicitor). Perhaps you could steal her car instead. I'd love to see that happen to old vinegar tits! Sh!t if even pay for someone to do that! Haha. :-D

Anyway .... How's life in QLD mate? What boat do you have? Thanks for the words of support. I really appreciate it! Especially lately. ;-)

hi hendo, boat now is only 5.8 carribean reef runner with 4.3 omc sterndrive. i want to buy something 35-40ft to go north . i plan to live aboard. thats why i'm here, to pick up as much as info as i can. i plan to hang about moreton bay and do a nav course and learn all i can about whatever boat i buy. so if i ask any stupid questions .they might not seem so silly to me! all good tom

hi hendo, boat now is only 5.8 carribean reef runner with 4.3 omc sterndrive. i want to buy something 35-40ft to go north . i plan to live aboard. thats why i'm here, to pick up as much as info as i can. i plan to hang about moreton bay and do a nav course and learn all i can about whatever boat i buy. so if i ask any stupid questions .they might not seem so silly to me! all good tom

Hi Tom,
Nah no judgement will come from me about questions so please do ask away mate! Most people on here are pretty respective and the ones that aren't, well their opinions don't matter anyway and can be blocked/ignored lol

Heck we all learnt what we know today through asking!

Some people you may want to engage with on here are three "local to you" lads called
1.) PeteB (Moderator)
2.) BruceK (Moderator)
3.) Tidahapah.

They are from the Brisbane / gold coast area.

I also highly recommend my two American mates:
1.) CPseudonym (Moderator)
2.) Art.

There are more people that rate mentioning but just look through this thread for names mate.

My email address is matthewhenders@optusnet.com.au if you would rather email me any questions or need to bring something to my attention sooner than I would see it on here.

What sort of boat are you looking to get?
Do you want Timber or Plastic?

Tidahapah and I have timber vessels (Tidahapah is a traditional construction while mine uses more modern methods like ply and epoxy etc) and the other boys I mentioned have plastic boats so whatever you choose you'll be sure to get some help!

First thing i reccommend for you to do seeing as you're in Ipswich is getting down to the Goldy and picking up a SARCA or SARCA exel anchor mate!

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
Prop Class 1. balanced and polished.

Ohh mate...don't put that on the boat, frame it and put it on the wall of the boat !:thumb:

This is the first time I have actually read your story from start to finish mate...youre a friggin legend. Seriously. The job you have done on your boat is superlative. Props mate, props...

Craig

Tom, hi. As Hendo mentioned, I'm based at Horizon Shores, just a bit north of Jacobs Well, and it is a good marina, with all the support facilities one could ask for, and good hard stand, covered stand, or covered stack facilities for all sizes of trailer type boats. Good launching arrangements also, and more to the point, if you are interested in trading up, a couple of brokerages, which have quite a wide range of boats for sail, including trawler style, on the marina and ready for inspection.

This is the first time I have actually read your story from start to finish mate...youre a friggin legend. Seriously. The job you have done on your boat is superlative. Props mate, props...

Craig

Nah not a legend. Far from it. I see it more as stubbornly crazy and too far committed. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and posts!

Thanks for your encouragement and support.

If you see a better way to do something and want to help with suggestions and ideas PLEASE DO.

there's no plans to go off for this boat so I'm making it up as I go so may as well put in ideas from everyone all over the world and make it a one of a kind.

BruceK has named her the AXE and everyone else has made contributions with designs etc. so feel free to chime in at anytime.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers mate.

Cheers mate
Hendo.

Last edited:
Nah not a legend. Far from it. I see it more as stubbornly crazy and too far committed. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and posts!

Thanks for your encouragement and support.

If you see a better way to do something and want to help with suggestions and ideas PLEASE DO.

there's no plans to go off for this boat so I'm making it up as I go so may as well put in ideas from everyone all over the world and make it a one of a kind.

BruceK has named her the AXE and everyone else has made contributions with designs etc. so feel free to chime in at anytime.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers mate.

Cheers mate
Hendo.

I will give it some thought mate, just so you know I am waiting on an email reply from the solar guru/sparky where I work.

What do you intend to do with the Axe mate ? Weekender, live aboard, world travel ?:D

I will give it some thought mate, just so you know I am waiting on an email reply from the solar guru/sparky where I work.

What do you intend to do with the Axe mate ? Weekender, live aboard, world travel ?:D

Weekender mate.

Some people you may want to engage with on here are three "local to you" lads called
1.) PeteB (Moderator)
2.) BruceK (Moderator)
3.) Tidahapah.

They are from the Brisbane / gold coast area.

First thing i recommend for you to do seeing as you're in Ipswich is getting down to the Goldy and picking up a SARCA or SARCA exel anchor mate!

Cheers
Matt
Probably not important but I`m (BruceK) in Sydney, not Gold Coast/BNE.
A proud Sarca Super owner, I happily recommend Sarca too.

Back
Top Bottom