Reasons for a flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I specifically bought a boat with a flybridge so I had somewhere to go when I was told to go to my room :)

Seriously - would not be without it.

This is our first powerboat after owning many sailboats. We first fell in love w a tug style w a pilot house and no flying bridge, but the owner decided not to sell. We then found our current boat and thought the fly bridge was cool but we'd have to get an enclosure. We quickly decided there was no need for an enclosure and we've rarely driven the boat from below. We spend a lot if our time at anchor sitting up top, more so than on the sundeck though we sit there a fair amount also. If we had that "tug" we'd probably sit up on the roof of the saloon in deck chairs. :).

Definitely to each his own, enjoy what you have!!

Although I use the flybridge less today than I did a few years ago, I do like the view of the delta from us there. In the summer, it's me preferred helm. Instead of watching the levees go by, the scenery beyond the levees comes into view from the flybridge and that completes the picture. Without a flybridge, I'd never see that beautiful scenery.

As usual, it was chilly today on the bay. Had only one pilothouse door open for ventilation. Much better indoors rather than chillin' on a flybridge.

Could only stand it a few minutes on deck today to examine Norwegian freighter Star Laguna on its way to Vancouver, BC from Stockton.

img_162355_0_81e6d704bb5d4fdf344ab518a11c64b2.jpg

Although I use the flybridge less today than I did a few years ago, I do like the view of the delta from us there. In the summer, it's me preferred helm. Instead of watching the levees go by, the scenery beyond the levees comes into view from the flybridge and that completes the picture. Without a flybridge, I'd never see that beautiful scenery.

Have you never heard of a periscope? Peering through one with a fan blowing on your face is just like being on a flying bridge. For realism just splash a little water on your face. Sheesh! Climbing up and down all those steps, some people just don't get it.:banghead:

:D

Have you never heard of a periscope? Peering through one with a fan blowing on your face is just like being on a flying bridge. For realism just splash a little water on your face. Sheesh! Climbing up and down all those steps, some people just don't get it.:banghead:

:D

Don, Don, Don :nonono: ;)

All the excuses in the world... never stop what is correct! :dance: :speed boat:

I wouldn't want one totally enclosed in plastic. You may as well be inside then.

I couldn't agree more. My previous boat though had an enclosed FB and for a good reason - the FB was the only helm station. You wouldn't want to be operating in the open when it's cold.

But I don't understand why others would enclose a FB when there is already another helm station that's enclosed. I thought the beauty of having a FB is to be able to operate outside in the open when it's nice. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

I couldn't agree more. My previous boat though had an enclosed FB and for a good reason - the FB was the only helm station. You wouldn't want to be operating in the open when it's cold.

But I don't understand why others would enclose a FB when there is already another helm station that's enclosed. I thought the beauty of having a FB is to be able to operate outside in the open when it's nice. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

mahal - IMHO, Exactly Correct! :thumb:

Also, non enclosed bridge w/ retractable bimini – makes it easy to dock under cover, i.e. sun, rain, and wind protection! :D

Attachments

• Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 89
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 92
  • TO - Bridge in Tules 100_0442.jpg
    TO - Bridge in Tules 100_0442.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 77
  • TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 89
enclosed flybridge on some vessels is like a 3 season room....on some vessels they are air conditioned, heated, screened, have wet bars, etc...etc.

On the 54 Sea Rays I operated , the flybridge only needed to have a porta-potie to be a complete captains quarters (the sunpad turned into a queen and was very comfy)

enclosed flybridge on some vessels is like a 3 season room....on some vessels they are air conditioned, heated, screened, have wet bars, etc...etc.

On the 54 Sea Rays I operated , the flybridge only needed to have a porta-potie to be a complete captains quarters (the sunpad turned into a queen and was very comfy)

Ta me... "Pleasure Boating" represents becoming one with da water and da air... or something like that. If I wanted to be sequestered inside a self contained completely enclosed bridge... then I might as well go on a cruise ship and get served everything by a real pretty attendant too! :lol:

Jus Sayen! :dance: :speed boat:

then I might as well go on a cruise ship and get served everything by a real pretty attendant too! :lol:

Art, you can laugh and dance all you want, but that's the way it is on Moonstruck.:dance::smitten::facepalm:

Ta me... "Pleasure Boating" represents becoming one with da water and da air... or something like that. If I wanted to be sequestered inside a self contained completely enclosed bridge... then I might as well go on a cruise ship and get served everything by a real pretty attendant too! :lol:

Some of us have more than our fair share of water and air and sun.... you can have mine and enjoy it...:thumb:

After a lifetime and 2 careers with plenty of sea time...I'll take "refreshed" after a stint at the helm over "weather beaten".:D

I noticed that most that are for a fly and not enclosed are in the warmer drier climates, and the ones not for a fly and/or enclosed are in the colder rainy areas. I think the climate of the area is the biggest factor. In the PNW its nice to have a AC/heated/protected pilot house. Also a factor is if the lower helm is in the salon/main area that the visibility is usually limited and crowded, which I would then want a fly. :thumb:

The Eagle pilot house also has a dinette that can be used as a rest/sleeping area, and the bather room is just down the steps. We have used the Pilot house as a spare bedroom several time. Also when just my wife and I, she has to at least stay in the pilot house, so she reads and falls a sleep. We thought we would miss a fly but we don’t. At least when my wife tells me to go to my area, the pilot house is a AC/heated place to escape to. :flowers:

Art, you can laugh and dance all you want, but that's the way it is on Moonstruck.:dance::smitten::facepalm:

Touché! Come to think of it... pretty much that way on our cruiser too!! :socool: :smitten:

Even on the "open" bridge... :dance: :speed boat:

Remember on an enclosed FB it is only a matter of a few unzips an snaps and Mother Nature is with you.
Steve W

... then I might as well go on a cruise ship and get served everything by a real pretty attendant too! :lol:

Like this, with attendants singing my praises!:

img_162475_0_ac1e41af4b04084cb240f2ee9044fe79.jpg

I have operated from the fb in FLA. and BC. and oh yeah! weather is a factor. I would not have considered one on Florida but in BC there can be several weather changes a day so I see an enclosure in my future but it will have panels that can be lifted out of the way when needed..not rolled...dont like that... but in Canada, folks, you take full advantage of those sunny days when you get them.

My enclosure will only go back half the fb length anyway leaving a large area that is always exposed to the elements for sun worshipers.:socool:

Because the view is really nice.

Cape Lookout Summer.jpg

Mine too. And my sundeck has steps with handrail and no ladder!!!

Mine three... errr two.... errrr TOO!

One comfortable, broad teak step from rear deck to sun deck, one teak step from sundeck to bridge. Each surrounded w/ handrails.

MOF... Our Tolly has 130' SS top railing / 65 SS stanchions / many feet SS ladder/step banisters / and 16' SS grab rail alongside the bridge... not to mention some 50' of taught-pulled, white poly coated SS safety wire half way down to deck under top rails along boat sides...

Gots ta be pretty darn loose ta fall off this boat! :dance:

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Touché! Come to think of it... pretty much that way on our cruiser too!! :socool: :smitten:
I envy you guys. It hasn't been much fun on SeaHorse since my niece left. :blush:

Much better view.

Attachments

• image-1614623470.jpg
    image-1614623470.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 87
Great views are very possible from the pilothouse too!

img_162572_0_3b249990fad6e69157a6bca31b6de5b6.jpg

Gee, my skin would dry up in no time being continuously, tumultuously exposed to the wind. But an occasional step outside is fine. (Some people look old for their age because they mistreat their skin. I try to minimize exposure after having been "cooked/radiated" over the years from outdoor adventures.)

img_162573_0_81e6d704bb5d4fdf344ab518a11c64b2.jpg

Last edited:
Some people look old for their age because they mistreat their skin.
You do have "wonderful" looking skin, Mark. And for a guy who's very close to 80, you look so young! :eek: :D

Gee, my skin would dry up in no time being continuously, tumultuously exposed to the wind.

Come to the Gulf Coast.....ain't nothin' dry around here!!!!

Mark is like an orchid that must be kept in the shade and misted every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom