Hull Shapes----Show us your girl's bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was afraid you'd say that.

Color non-plused; symbol you post on bow is a recognized international nuclear hazard sign... far as I know!?!?!!! But, from your last comment above... guess that's what you intended, and, it could create a good laugh, from some.

Don't know legalities regarding placement of hazard symbols where represented hazard did not, does not, or will not exist. Do know there are specific regs about symbols appropriately placed where hazards do exist.

Wouldn't photo/artistic-drawing of a prop, actual marine propeller, be more instructive/appropriate to help save hands and feet of near by swimmers??

Just wonderen!

Ian Griffith's Coot #5 has the symbols too, which like mine, were builder-installed.

Kitlope-anchorage.jpg

Ian Griffith's Coot #5 has the symbols too, which like mine, were builder-installed.

Where were your boats built? U.S. CG ever seen/commented on your manufacturer's use of nucular hazard symbols? - Just wonderen??

Coots are built in China, near Hong Kong (American-owned company). USCG always travels at high speed, so doubt they see the symbols when they pass by. Anyway, the Coots' signs are the wrong color for radiation danger.

img_162094_0_65fe38ac4f3f035dd0232467c3772165.jpg

Coots are built in China, near Hong Kong (American-owned company). USCG always travels at high speed, so doubt they see the symbols when they pass by. Anyway, the Coots' signs are the wrong color for radiation danger.

img_162102_0_65fe38ac4f3f035dd0232467c3772165.jpg

OOOOO...AAAHHH - I want that boat to play with! :eek:

Got a million $$$?

Kitlope-anchorage.jpg

Well, I think it's kinda Coot!

I added JET FUEL ONLY stickers near the fuel caps and REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT on the burgee, but so far, no one has mistaken my boat for an airplane.

[QUOTE:=FlyWright;162143]Well, I think it's kinda Coot!

I added JET FUEL ONLY stickers near the fuel caps and REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT on the burgee, but so far, no one has mistaken my boat for an airplane.[/QUOTE]

Well, with the covers over the windows I mistook it for an instrument flight trainer.:D

I'm not sure there's an accepted international symbol for thrusters but generally it seems to be usual to use a four-armed cross within a circle....

Like this.....There's also a bulb-bow symbol and a propeller symbol each side of the stern.....

18bowview2.jpg

I'm not sure there's an accepted international symbol for thrusters but generally it seems to be usual to use a four-armed cross within a circle....

Like this.....There's also a bulb-bow symbol and a propeller symbol each side of the stern.....

View attachment 20357

WHAT is holding that ship upright?? :confused: Rigid anchor chain! :lol:

Don't recall a "real" boat that didn't have a red bottom. ...

Having seen this green-bottomed Japanese freighter on San Pablo Bay today, I'll eat the above statement.

img_162345_0_1a8e251e6d78cd54ce187b17e4c8f6c3.jpg

Mark,
When you posted the pic of the other freighter w the red bottom I thought sure many others w various colors would get posted. Perhaps black is even more prevalent now. But I'm with you on this one in that I'm sure RED is the most traditional bottom color. The thing that gets me is why have any other color? I think when they introduced tin anti fouling paint for fresh water slime it was green. People saw something new and of course it was different and so like a fad they had to be the first to have it. But RED is traditional and obviously we are traditional watermen w RED bottoms. Long live RED bottoms.

Attachments

• STH71260 copy.jpg
    STH71260 copy.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 185
But I'm with you on this one in that I'm sure RED is the most traditional bottom color......... . But RED is traditional and obviously we are traditional watermen w RED bottoms.
I think it all started with red lead paint.

I agree Walt.

But how did dark grey lead become fairly bright red? Lead ain't red.

Perhaps I should ask why the sky is blue while I'm at it?

Last edited:
Isn't/wasn't red (rust) the least expensive pigment? That's why barns, railroad boxcars, and so on were historically red.

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

:)

I agree Walt.

But how did dark grey lead become fairly bright red? Lead ain't red.

Because it reflects our beautiful blue oceans... of course, silly! :lol:

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Capt. Craig, all that sounds technical and scientific. However, everyone in North Carolina knows that the sky is blue because----are you ready for this----God is a Tarheel fan.:D

Thanks, Mr. Answer Man!! :thumb::dance:

What is love? :smitten:

Oldfishboat

A couple of pics of the old girl with the belly.

She has a wet ride ! in chopy weather. But very smooth and zero bang and or shudder against any wave action.

Still runs a little bow heavy with a full load of fuel but over time, thats changing. By moving a few things around like batteries, waist tanks, etc etc.

Small but she fits us fine. Not a yacht .

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 2010 jan 001.jpg
    2010 jan 001.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 114
  • cruisin 09 038.jpg
    cruisin 09 038.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 111
  • invader_0002.jpg
    invader_0002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 154
YES psneeld. Red was the traditional color for primer on cars. Didn't think of that. When I was young most of us had cars in primer a lot of the time as our cars were a "work in progress". And I feel the same way about car primer as boat bottom paint.

TAD thanks we needed that. Very nice to have you around.

OFB I lust every time I see your boat. There was one like yours at the Everett fish boat floats for a long time and I waited and waited for a for sale sign to appear.
Aft CG? That's like poison in a following sea. I converted a FB while I lived in Vancouver and I took the big gas GMC out of the wheelhouse and put a 25hp Palmer gas in the fish hold.

Eric

I looked for years to find an x fishboat that I could take a chainsaw too. Dam hard to find one that you would not want to add ballast some where. She came with some in the aft section, original to the build. But not much.

Invader is an old combo boat that used to have a live well. They are a little different in design. Like having three compartments with in the hull. I am very slow to change much as my original wants needs have changed over the years. I may add the mast , polls, and fish back onto the boat and that changes stuff up again.

But in her current cruising conditions she runs nice and in a following sea she just rises up , lets the swell roll under. No fuss no muss but she has a large rudder. Just don't get her sideways in the river current while docking or heading to the travel lift. Her keel really will not let her slip around so too speak.

She will roll as you would expect but easy to just change tack and carry on.

The old boat really has done a grand job for us, owes my nothing yet continues to just do what ever we ask.

But you know I feel boats have souls and are in fact "living".

Have too laugh !

I don't have any shots of my bottom yet but thankfully another Cheoy Lee 66 owner has laid her girl over on her side especially so we can see underneath. I am very grateful to have saved the expense of doing the same myself.

Looks a nice efficient round bilge double ender style trawler hull which explains why she is so efficient. No transom dragging in the water here.

Attachments

• 2857773239_c4bf659f1d_b.jpg
    2857773239_c4bf659f1d_b.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 190
Old Fish Boat......you know, ever since I saw the first picture of your boat years ago (the first one above), I have believed that this is indeed, the most alluring vessel I've ever come across. Yeah, there's more oppulant, more efficient, more precious, more this or that, but there is just out-and-out handsome, and you've got it there. It's one of those boats that when you see it passing you on the sound, and there's no more space on your camera memory card, you back up and delete the grand-baby's pictures just to get a shot of that beautiful thing underway. I think you should use the first picture above for your Avatar.......guaranteed to win the coveted Woodsong Avatar Trophy. I'll Photoshop you a set of solid gold hull jack-jack stands to replace the 55 gallon drums!

VT,

Here is a Vashon Trawler in Ketchikan Alaska.

Could be the smallest of the full disp trawlers.

What do you think VT?

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 101 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 101 copy 2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 206
  • all to 12-15-09 100 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 100 copy 2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 142
I don't have any shots of my bottom yet but thankfully another Cheoy Lee 66 owner has laid her girl over on her side especially so we can see underneath. I am very grateful to have saved the expense of doing the same myself.

Looks a nice efficient round bilge double ender style trawler hull which explains why she is so efficient. No transom dragging in the water here.

That is sickening! How did it happen?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom