Bigger is better, wrong mindset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pete, I think I can i/d the first, I`ll be quiet, except to say it is one of the best looking boats around, with (local) build quality to match, the look of a day boat and features of a live-aboard; while the lntegrity 380, more utilitarian, updates the best of Halvorsen design. Both desirable boats.

I fell into a big boat 65' a couple of years ago. What some consider big the next person considers a cramped less than a boat kinda boat. If your looking, the last thing I would worry about is size. I think mine will be cramped when put in service, simply because I plan on having several families with us. I hope to be the focal point of many weekend trips and a "destination" of sorts. I don't look at a boat as a get away, I think work and dirt life is a get away from what we are ment to do. If all you want is a plush camping experience than get a small boat. If all you think about when your working or mowing the grass is fishing and swimming and being on the water than get a boat that suits your wants, not your needs.

One in particular made me think of Walt, as it is like the big brother to his Gourmet Cruiser, but not too much bigger.
At first glance, I thought it was a 38' Gourmet Cruiser but the windows and the stern (what I can see of it) aren't right. My guess is a "San Juan" or a "Hinkley" but I really don't have a clue. At that length, my favorite boat is the Gourmet Cruiser. You Aussies design some really nice boats! (And strong, too!)

38' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

Attachments

• 38' Gourmet Cruiser copy.jpg
    38' Gourmet Cruiser copy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
At first glance, I thought it was a 38' Gourmet Cruiser but the windows and the stern (what I can see of it) aren't right. My guess is a "San Juan" or a "Hinkley" but I really don't have a clue. At that length, my favorite boat is the Gourmet Cruiser. You Aussies design some really nice boats! (And strong, too!)

38' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

Looks like a modernized Stephens, Matthews, or Richardson from the 30's / 40's.

Interesting thread indeed. We use our boat (GB36) less than once a month and I think we would use it more if it were bigger. Bigger = separate shower stall, walk around bed, room for a recliner, etc...

Ah, that is due to the style, not the size! that is not a criticism, we love GBs. We have the same (actually one foot smaller) size boat but a sundeck and we have a walk around bed and a shower stall. no recliner though. I certainly appreciate that sundecks are not to everyone's taste.

Ah, that is due to the style, not the size! that is not a criticism, we love GBs. We have the same (actually one foot smaller) size boat but a sundeck and we have a walk around bed and a shower stall. no recliner though. I certainly appreciate that sundecks are not to everyone's taste.

Jennifer, Pineapple Girl... as it clearly seems you and your Capt do too...

Admiral, Linda and Capt, Art simply LOVE our Tolly's Sun Deck and Bridge! :dance:

Use em all the time - Ain't the Delta FUN!

Last edited:
s it is like the big brother to his Gourmet Cruiser, but not too much bigger. In fact I took a pic for him, it is a...no...let's see who can guess.

It's a Palm Beach xx'.......

http://www.pbmotoryachts.com/index.html

I was just laughing this morning as a Sabre came in, also using my integrated mast/radar base design, this one (on the PB) is a bit clunky, but "borrowed" none the less......;)

The PB is certainly a very nice looking boat, but I can't help worrying about visibility forward from the helm when underway??

Last edited:

I was just laughing this morning as a Sabre came in, also using my integrated mast/radar base design, this one (on the PB) is a bit clunky, but "borrowed" none the less......;)

The PB is certainly a very nice looking boat, but I can't help worrying about visibility forward from the helm when underway??

That's primary reason why I appreciate... "Flying Bridge"... for sight line to water over raised bow at speed.

I don't drive cars at speed with hood up blocking view of highway either!

Last edited:
I would have guessed San Juan as well. That PB sure is a beauty!!!

Don't tell my wife this as she is under the impression that such amenities are only found in 50' pilothouse boats. Besides, she misses having a cockpit with a gate to the swimstep where she can just step on and off the dinghy.

A set of trim tabs might pay for themselves in a short time after you get the boats angle of attack to normal.

Usually bow high is a transition stage , not a cruise regime.

Damn, I forgot Tad lurks on here. Tad I shoulda said anyone but you can have a guess. But sure, she is a looveley boat. Sure you're not tempted Walt..?

Sure you're not tempted Walt..?
No, I'm not tempted. She's too "Star Trekiish" & "swept back for my taste. I prefer a traditional look. Boats I admire are the Fleming, Alaskan, Portuguese bridge type boats. In smaller vessels I like my boat, your Lotus, dwhatty's IG, Moonstruck (for speed & looks) Flyrights 34 Californian is a great boat (if you can find one). Diplomatic enough for you?

Seriously, I do love the above mentioned boats.

Assuming an annual running time of the boat underway of 150 hours a year I submit the following for consideration. .

Our marina has many big boats owned by out of towners. We, as well, live far away from the boat so when we get there it is not an afternoon retreat but a week, month or six month retreat.

Thus for us and many long distance commuters, bigger in most respects is better as the boat is now our mobile house with requisite onboard laundry facilities, additional bunks, heads, storage and living space appreciated. Not to mention size matters when doing those two or three thousand mile jaunts to see the sights.

Also not to forget budget. Bigger requires more bucks to maintain, berth and fuel. I just spent some time on a 100'er with requisite with 5 person crew and tag along fishing boat. The owner's lament - the boat is not big enough. It has been this way for about 5000 years.

When I'm on my boat I want to feel the water. I want to move with the motion in a safe and controlled manner. A small boat feels more in tune with the sea. I like that. (I may eat my words when it gets really ugly out there.)

Palm Beach Motor Yachts

It looks like the Choy Lee black lace boats they use to make. Even has the front cockpit. One of the sleekest sexest boat made. :socool:

AusCan wrote:

"A small boat feels more in tune with the sea. I like that."

Running 2 or 3 knots above hull speed a boat seems clearly on a mission. Whereas at hull speed there is an unmistakable "wallowing" feel. Rolling is dampened by some dynamic effect on the hull w a little speed that I know exists but don't understand. One must burn fuel to get even a little speed though.

Re the Palm Beach the window on the side looks visually heavy but I love the canvas cover aft having a bit of arc to their tubes. Such a small touch but the boat would look almost terrible w/o the slight curve. A truly beautiful boat will have many such visual features.
In the pics surely the view is stretched.

Last edited:
" A small boat feels more in tune with the sea. I like that." (I may eat my words when it gets really ugly out there.)
Couldn't agree more, but when it gets ugly" out there, no boat is big enough.

Back
Top Bottom