Education Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
Being newbies to the trawler world we are wondering if there are educational course requirements. Do states require them, insurance?

Connecticut requires a boat operator to get a licence by taking an 8 hour quickie worthless course that makes legislators feel good. IMO it does nothing to train other than make people aware of some things.

Do yourself a favor by taking a Power Squadron or USCG auxilliary course as a start, then spend time talking to local boaters.
BoatUS insurance (and others I assume) do give a discount for being a Power squadron member (the discount pays for my membership fee plus a little). But not for other education or experience as far as I know.

NJ is similar to many states...if you live/operate more than 90 days there you have to take their 8hr course...if a transient in NJ waters...you have to be able to show some kind of boater's safety training certificate.

Many insurance companies do discount for all kinds of training...some much more than others...experience does count too quite a bit as well as certain safety equipment.

A friend of mine just got refused by a major maritime insurance company because he only had his new boat a year...he is a very experienced USCG 100 ton master though.

Watch insurance companies closely...for being so rich and powerful they seem to be the most idiotic customer service companies of all...then again maybe that's why they are so rich and powerful...:eek:

Last edited:
I came to trawlering from a small 19 ft Sea Ray runabout. My insurance company required that I get initial training from a USCG qualified Captain to ensure I knew the basics of navigation, conduct of vessels, lights and signals, boat handling and close quarters maneuvering. I also learned a lot about the local waters, best anchoring practices and hidden hazards.

It's normally a 20 hr course, but can be abbreviated when competence is demonstrated. Cost about $60 per hour in my boat. Once completed,the Capt provided a letter to the insurance company that documented our training. I gained a lot of knowledge through the training in addition to making a new friend. A win-win!

Back
Top Bottom