Inverter/shore power issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleonard

Guru
Early spring when I connected to shore power while on the hard, the Xantrex inverter relay would keep clicking off and not let power go to my boat panel. Maybe a 3-4 second cycle.
I took the inverter home removed some panels looking for corrosion or burned wires on a relay. Seeing nothing I ran 120 to it from my house and it worked fine. Powered a light and a drill from a car battery and it worked fine.
Back on the boat it clicked again, but when I connected to shore power with a two prong adapter it worked fine. That did not seem unusual to me as I and others have had trouble using power on the hard because of the GCFI outlets.
Ok so I get launched today and the relay in the invereter starts clicking again so the boat does not have shore power. Dock voltage is a little low at about 105 v. Shore power cord is new. I took my boat power receptacle apart and the green wire was barely clamped, so I took all the wores out and re-stripped them and re-connected everything.
I still get the clicking.
Any ideas what's happeneing and how to fix?

I had a similar problem at a marina with my xantrex. I found out that you can set the low voltage point in the inverter ( at least my model). It was set to not work below 110. It was recommended to me to set it at 90 volts. I did and have not had a problem since. Could be a possibility?

No prob. Hope that turns out to be it and not something more complicated. Keep us posted :)

I was thinking the same...but never owned a Xantrex and was busy to search for manuals...certainly sounds like the most likely candidate and easy to verify and change.

If not that...my old exide one would char the contacts and either not stay closed or once it welded them together...that's why it's my ex-exide now..:rofl:

I was sailing a clients boat a few weeks ago and he had warned me that the charger/inverter rarely worked. I went into the settings and everything was wrong. Voltage was too high. Cycles was set for European, etc. Check all of your user defined settings.

I had a similar problem at a marina with my xantrex. I found out that you can set the low voltage point in the inverter ( at least my model). It was set to not work below 110. It was recommended to me to set it at 90 volts. I did and have not had a problem since. Could be a possibility?

99% this is the problem. When the inverter comes on line, the voltage is fine. When the battery charger kicks on, the load causes the voltage to drop below the threshold. Battery charger turns off. Voltage comes up. Repeat.

Two solutions: 1) adjust minimum voltage to 100 2) Adjust max charger draw down to 10 amps.

Long term, find out why the dock voltage is too low.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Thanks guys. I didn't find a low voltage adjustment in the manual. However when I go back to the marina today I will try turning off the charger and see what happens.
Then I'll go thru the set up and see what I find oout.

This is a haulout marina only for me, I am only there a week before I take off for the summer of cruising so investigation of why the voltage is low probably won't happen at least by me.

Sorry to hear that. What model inverter is it? Is it an inverter/charger?

Sorry to hear that. What model inverter is it? Is it an inverter/charger?

Yes inverter charger. Xantrex Freedom Marine 2000. I did not find any adjustments for charging amperage or input voltage.

Did not get to do much with the inverter other than try it again with the same results.
Spent the day working on my Balmar alternator and regulator and calibrating tachometers. Finally got it programmed right, verified all parameters and readouts with a Balmar tech. So at least that is all set now.

Back
Top Bottom