Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish I could be helpful on your Long Island quandary, but no knowledge there. We did get blown around a good bit in Beaufort Inlet yesterday 20kt winds. Not sure if that remnant will get you, but be safe.

Your pulley blow-out was amazing. What did American Diesel speculate (you said they did not know, but guess?) was the cause? Seems like an awful lot of torque to cause that. What was the age/hours on the part?

Brian had no idea. I think it was simple metal fatigue. The new part is twice as thick:thumb:

My option for big stuff on the butt...and your rhumline.....I would hook inside Montauk rather than shoot an inlet that I was unfamiliar with....

You could always try the USCG for a breaking inlet report when you decide which one suits your fancy....

Based on your rhumbline...Shinnecock looks the best to run from a Google Earth perspective. Short straight in run with no curving outer bar.

Reports of patchy fog (typical this time of year).... watch the canyons as you cross them...Sunday fishermen and the odd comm out there lobstering maybe. Hopefully your AIS can alert you well enough for the shipping approaches.

Last edited:
My option for big stuff on the butt...and your rhumline.....I would hook inside Montauk rather than shoot an inlet that I was unfamiliar with....

You could always try the USCG for a breaking inlet report when you decide which one suits your fancy....

Based on your rhumbline...Shinnecock looks the best to run from a Google Earth perspective. Short straight in run with no curving outer bar.

Reports of patchy fog (typical this time of year).... watch the canyons as you cross them...Sunday fishermen and the odd comm out there lobstering maybe. Hopefully your AIS can alert you well enough for the shipping approaches.

I was thinking Shinnecock but everything says local knowledge. AIS will drop off once I leave cell range. I'll be losing you soon so see all tomorrow God willing.:eek:

Had some drama last night. A sailboat travelling with me in the Delaware had a crew member fall and break ribs or maybe her back. USGC once they considered it a possible life threatening event came out from Cape May and pulled her from the boat. The whole thing happened from midnight until 7:00.

They were anchoring in one spot and the USCG told them not to but to anchor in another spot as a lot of tugs use the area they were going to drop the hook. When they moved to the new spot they either bumped the bottom hard or they hit a submerged object like a log or something. She was thrown from the companionway into the galley counter and was injured.

Glassy rollers so far:thumb:
Scenes from Chesapeake City
Atlantic City so far out you can't even see them spending their kid's money

Attachments

• P1080296.jpg
    P1080296.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 72
  • P1080298.jpg
    P1080298.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 75
  • P1080299.jpg
    P1080299.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 75
  • P1080300.jpg
    P1080300.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 77
  • P1080308.jpg
    P1080308.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P1080311.jpg
    P1080311.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Are there any navigable inlets on the south shore of Long Island in case I have to bailout tomorrow?

Post Sandy, I would not chance any inlet on the South Shore of LI.

Continue on or back to New York Harbor seem the best bet.

Only you can make the call what is best.

Take care JohnP

Post Sandy, I would not chance any inlet on the South Shore of LI.

Continue on or back to New York Harbor seem the best bet.

Only you can make the call what is best.

Take care JohnP

Thanks, I'm really hopeful I won't need a plan "B". Forecast looks good until tomorrow night. If that holds true I will be up past LI where I would have plenty of choices if needed.

I wish I did but no.

My compliments on your brass ones.

So, catnaps on autopilot? Chew coffee beans? Meth addict? What's your strategy for battling fatigue, boredom, and inattention?

Probably an obvious answer, but my longest is 15 hours, so very curious.

So, catnaps on autopilot? Chew coffee beans? Meth addict? What's your strategy for battling fatigue, boredom, and inattention?

After about 18 hrs you become a punchy b*tch...

Daddyo,

I see you are off on montauk. How are the seas?
Will you get fuel in NH?

Richard

Good Morning All!
Well I'm 37 hours into this leg and all is well. No special tricks. I read, eat, write and absorb the incredible beauty, take 20 or 30 minute naps with a timer. Often large (8') gentle rollers yesterday and smaller but rollers still today. Hopefully I'll make it to the Cape Cod Canal before dark and before it gets too snotty. Crossing the shipping channel, in the middle of the night, that runs into NY was interesting. Visibility was very low for the northern channel and I couldn't see a freighter until I was quite close.

Daddyo,

I see you are off on montauk. How are the seas?
Will you get fuel in NH?

Richard

No need for fuel, seas are great. Nice rollers as the wind hasn't freshened as it should this afternoon

Well done!

Do you go through a periodic checklist over that duration? Life jacket when on deck and so on?

No check list, it's all up here:eek: I know this boat like the back of my hand, hey that's new:rofl: No life jacket on deck as my rails and gunnels are very high and substantial.

Crossing the shipping channel, in the middle of the night, that runs into NY was interesting. Visibility was very low for the northern channel and I couldn't see a freighter until I was quite close.

It can be a scary place. We were taking a J-110 from Annapolis to Providence and ducked in at Sandy Hook around midnight. Pea-soup and no radar. You could hear the bow waves and the engines of the passing ships, but we never saw a single light. I pretty much stayed on the radio confirming our heading to the pilots who were watching us on radar and advising us to hold course.

Switched to stainless steel. The brass ones just weren't getting the spit and polish that they used to get so that they would stay shinny and new looking Old Sport:socool:

Good Morning All!
Well I'm 37 hours into this leg and all is well. No special tricks. I read, eat, write and absorb the incredible beauty, take 20 or 30 minute naps with a timer. Often large (8') gentle rollers yesterday and smaller but rollers still today. Hopefully I'll make it to the Cape Cod Canal before dark and before it gets too snotty. Crossing the shipping channel, in the middle of the night, that runs into NY was interesting. Visibility was very low for the northern channel and I couldn't see a freighter until I was quite close.

It was approaching the verranzano narrows that I found having AIS on my cell phone via Marinetraffic.com was really helpful. Yes, I understandi it's limitations, but it was avery foggy day and I was able to plan my route accross the shipping lanes 2 hours before the freighters showed up on my radar.:dance:

Too bad it just doesn't work at 50nm out. I wish they would put a cell tower out there for us cheapskates.

Chronological order from yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• P1080323.jpg
    P1080323.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P1080324.jpg
    P1080324.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 108
  • P1080342.jpg
    P1080342.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 114
  • P1080348.jpg
    P1080348.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98
  • P1080352.jpg
    P1080352.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 116
  • P1080356.JPG
    P1080356.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 101
Hey Daddyo, I'm enjoying your trip all the way from here in Long Beach, CA. You have the biggest balls of them all. he he he he

Like watching a little video game - Cuttyhunk Pond, I suppose?

Like watching a little video game - Cuttyhunk Pond, I suppose?

Indeed. My options had run out. I couldn't make the canal before dark and because of pots I couldn't run the channel leading to the canal in the dark. So I guess after 46 hrs straight I might get some sleep. I think I might have picked up a pot coming into here, I'll know tomorrow:banghead: Weather looks a bit snotty for this last bit.

Hey Daddyo, I'm enjoying your trip all the way from here in Long Beach, CA. You have the biggest balls of them all. he he he he

And here I was afraid I was just another pretty face :flowers:

Best part is that i see the weather passed you during the night and you are now running just behind it. As the day progresses, it will get better and better.:angel:

I'll have to look you up when we are in Maine this summer.

Glad to hear it's going to get better. Really thick fog now. Weather underground is showing really bad north of Boston tonight, etc. is this not the case anymore?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom