View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think I see what you mean now Keith.

A hinged shank on the Rocna that would allow the throat angle to vary much like a Danforth. That's the most interesting concept I've heard on anchor threads. Yes ..... I think it's fairly obvious one could have excellent short scope performance w the Rocna if it had a wider throat angle. You're dream'in in the right direction I think but there's a problem. First of all the anchor would always open to the maximum throat angle w any pull on the rode. Secondly the wider throat angle would present the fluke at an angle closer to 90 degrees to the direction of travel when setting and thus be unlikely to penetrate the bottom unless it was absolute soup.
I'm sure that Rocna, Delta and many others that make anchors of that type have thought of that and tested their anchors and found that setting becomes a problem w wider throat angles. If not then there's an opportunity here for someone.
My Danforths have set at very short scope at times and in my head they shouldn't. I don't understand why. I think the upwards pull on the shank would keep the flukes above the bottom. I've never anchored w no chain at all and most likely the chain keeps the flukes down. And w the Rocna types the chain keeps the shank down where the fluke tip tears into the bottom. I have for several years concluded that the main purpose of the chain is to weight the shank down so the anchor can do it's job.

As to your needs I think most any anchor will suffice.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote