Tried a search but couldnt find anything...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
Once again, please forgive my lack of 'local' knowledge but is it illegal to use red diesel in a boat in TX ? Also, has anyone got any experience with bio diesel ? It sells for 1.99 a gallon apparently but if its not safe to use....:confused:

If you don't mind the smell of french fries biodiesel is ok, a guy around here blew up his shop where he was making biodiesel but I never got the full story. Might have been a cover up for a meth lab or something. The red is for off road use, boats tractors and such. Just don't put in your truck.

Red dyed diesel means there is no road tax...also known as "off road diesel". And it's purpose is exactly that....for vehicles that do not use roads. Just don't let them catch you using red diesel in your road vehicles. Government entities do not take to kindly to people who stiff them on taxes!!!!

Red dyed diesel means there is no road tax...also known as "off road diesel". And it's purpose is exactly that....for vehicles that do not use roads. Just don't let them catch you using red diesel in your road vehicles. Government entities do not take to kindly to people who stiff them on taxes!!!!

Excellent ! Now, next question is, where does one buy the stuff ? Can you go to a bulk fuel depot and have them fill 55 gallon drums perhaps ?

Excellent ! Now, next question is, where does one buy the stuff ? Can you go to a bulk fuel depot and have them fill 55 gallon drums perhaps ?

Any diesel bought on the water(ie at a fuel dock) will be red diesel. I am sure you can find places inland to buy it nut I have no clue. Okay..I have a clue...;)...I would start here:

Dealer Locator - Locate Kubota Tractor Dealers Near You

Your local tractor dealer probably could get you started in the right direction.

I presume from your profile that you live in New Braunfels, Tx and that is why you are asking this question.

So you want to buy marine diesel for your boat's engine and you live in NB, right? Well there are two ways depending on where you keep your boat. On Canyon Lake there is a pretty good size marina. It MAY sell marine diesel but maybe not.

So if you have to fill a container anyway and take it to your boat, then buy over the road diesel from almost any filling station. It is perfectly legal to do so.

In our area tax free marine diesel is about the same cost as over the road diesel at a service station. On Canyon Lake if they sell it, it may be more due to the low volume.

David

I presume from your profile that you live in New Braunfels, Tx and that is why you are asking this question.

So you want to buy marine diesel for your boat's engine and you live in NB, right? Well there are two ways depending on where you keep your boat. On Canyon Lake there is a pretty good size marina. It MAY sell marine diesel but maybe not.

So if you have to fill a container anyway and take it to your boat, then buy over the road diesel from almost any filling station. It is perfectly legal to do so.

In our area tax free marine diesel is about the same cost as over the road diesel at a service station. On Canyon Lake if they sell it, it may be more due to the low volume.

David

Usually red diesel inland is significantly cheaper than road diesel....basically road diesel-road tax. And that road tax can be pretty significant.

In our area, red diesel on the water is about 50-60 cents more than road diesel. Friggin' highway robbery....pardon the pun!!!

Usually bio is mixed with diesel and only a small per cent under 10. in the Puget Sound, most boater and marines are trying not to carry use. The biggest is mixed bio does not have a long store before it starts separating out. It would be OK if you use it in a short period of time. Many of the city and state have used for years. Anyway I would would notnot use if high % and large amount if cannot be used.

Most marines do not allow fuel delivery.

David

Thanks David, I am not so much just looking to buy diesel as buy it at the cheapest possible price while not buying crap that will harm my engine....same as most people I suppose.

I am new to the game though so I defer to the vast experience available here. There is fuel available at my marina but as Baker said, its highway robbery at the prices they are asking...:facepalm:

Boidiesel is a fantastic solvent , so you will find out how clean your fuel tank is really quickly.

It also does damage to OLD style gaskets,flexible hose and sealing goop.

A box of new gaskets for the fuel system, and a couple of cases of fuel filters should be aboard if you decide to save money with french fry diesel..

The cheapest useful fuel is usually at the dock where the fish boats purchase fuel.

Beware,, many have a larger delivery that does not fit in a 1 1/2in yacht fill.

Big difference when the tanks hold thousands of gallons.

Last edited:
Thanks FF...I am trying to decide if the tank cleaning properties make it worth a tank or 2...I appreciate the fish boat tip...

I have found that the new low and ultra low sulfur diesel burn cleaners and also keep the tanks and fuel system cleaner. However they also have a short live, so I try to use/turn the diesel each year. The new ultra low sulfur will also damage older seals. If you take on either make sure you check your oil level to make sure diesel is not being pump into the sump. Many marinas in the PNW are now pumping the low sulfur, and some the ultra low.

When we moored on Lake Union we use to get Diesel at Kovich where the commercial tied up and because the Eagle is registered as a commercial we go the lower commercial price, volume discount, 500+ gallons, and paid cash. :flowers: Now that we are in Everett the only discount is volume which is about the same as the street pumps.

Also I added additives to the diesel that absorb water back into the fuel as the newer diesel also separate out and I only fill the tanks max ½ full, 600 gallons so moisture is possible but there is not signs of water in the Racors and they are clean. Last year I had a small air leak so installed a small clear fuel filter so I could see the tiny bubble and ran 9 month, 500 gallons, on that tiny filter. The Webasto also polish/clean the fuel, of course the 671 also does and I transfer and polish the fuel during the winter months, so the tanks and fuel should be clean.

NOT a tank or two, perhaps 10% in with real diesel will give you all the cleaning you need at a time.

If you have to buy "road diesel" for your boat, you should check with your state's Department of Revenue. You should be eligible for a refund of the
"road tax". Off road use generally qualifies you for an exemption from the road tax even if you cannot buy red diesel. At least one of the marinas here in Seattle sells road diesel, but has the necessary forms to request the refund from the State of Washington. I think the tax is currently 37.6 cents per gallon so it can add up to a decent savings for the effort.

The red dye can be very nice in detecting fuel leaks with GAS or diesel. If you have a clean basement in your boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom