One happy dude...Cummins related.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've cleaned my aftercoolers twice in the 3 years I've owned the boat. I can do it fairly quickly now that I've learned a few tricks.
I don't know why the Cummins aftercoolers seem to justify more discussion than others. I would think the same issues would be common to all marine aftercoolers. The Cummins aftercoolers core is brass and the housing aluminum. The brass and aluminum do come in contact and are always in salt water. However my experience is I've had no problems with my coolers and when I cleaned them the second time they really didn't need it. I do however fresh water flush my engines so I think that may be why.
I've heard Cummins does have a kit to change the aftercoolers from raw water to coolant. However that does not help the other items in the raw water cooling system; heat exchanger, oil cooler and fuel cooler. A fresh water flush system will help protect all the raw water components from "marine age" and is far easier & cheaper to install.

Hi. I´ve installed a waterfilter after the impellerpump on my two last boats = two filters and peace of (my) mind.

Back
Top Bottom